itether Reliability

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by WRXHokie, Mar 1, 2011.

1. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

How reliable is itether? I looking to buy an iPad 2 tomorrow, but i'm wrestling with the idea of buying the 3G or Wifi version. I don't have wifi at work, so the 3G would be nice for that, and for traveling. But I really hate the idea of paying for 2 data plans with AT&T.

Is jailbreaking my new iPad and using my iPhone's 3G connection an option for those of you that have tried it?

2. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I do it all the time. Tetherme on JB iPhone 4 and iTether on JB iPad. Uses about an extra 4-5% battery an hour on the phone. My wife has done lots of browsing and whatnot in the car with no issues I can recall. We've even walked around shopping with her carrying the iPad in her bag and iPhone in my pocket and it stays connected as long as we stay within 25 feet or so.

She recently got an iPhone 4 also and set it up on her phone and she has set it it nonproblem while traveling in airports if free wifi was not available.

The only issue is that while you can use maps in the car fine with the data connection, it would be nice to have the actual gps in the iPad for quickly locating yourself. I wish the wifi model had it and I may think about getting the 3G next time and just not get a data plan. $130right bit much when we have two iPhones already though.

3. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I don't have iTether. I have Tetherme for my JB iPhone, and it worked great with my laptop. Its pretty reliable, and I may go with iTether for my iPad.

I recently upgraded to MyWi. I wouldn't recommend it, as it causes my phone to reboot on its own. Strangely, these problems didn't appear during the 3 day trial.

4. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ditto Sherriftruman,

Just to add, the fake GPS that the non 3G ipads have is amazingly accurate and scary if you read how it works by triangulating wireless routers