Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iTM Tools Offer Midi Control from the iPhone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Silicon Studios offers a series of tools for audio enthusiasts to provide Midi controls from their iPhone or iPod Touch.

iTM MidiLab (Free) - free demo of the tools
iTM Keys ($5.99) - Midi keyboard
iTM Matrix ($5.99) - Button matrix
iTM XYPad ($5.99) - Touch Pad
iTM MCU ($5.99) - Mackie Control Emulation

The apps requires a host Mac running their iTouchMidi OS X application that is available on their website. A video is available demonstrating its use with Ableton Live.

Article Link

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
they're not saying whether or not the MCU is supported by ProTools... I don't know why it wouldn't, its just a generic MCU protocol.. but this is a much better price than that other PT controller.

Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
they're not saying whether or not the MCU is supported by ProTools... I don't know why it wouldn't, its just a generic MCU protocol.. but this is a much better price than that other PT controller.

ProTools supports Mackie Control, so it should be fine.

Either way, at 5.99, how can you go wrong?

Comment

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I've been using Matrix with Ableton Live and it works like a dream. The 8x8 grid is a little small for my fingers, but the 4x4 grid is great. A 6x6 grid would probably be the perfect size.

I just wish they would have combined these apps into one mega-control app.

Comment

Nonnus3G

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
hello there

i am iTM developer

tx alot for your kind words

most iTM app will soon be completely user configurable
iTM Matrix will have configurable colors, labels, number of pads and sent events
iTM Keys will have modulation, program,bank change and channel select
iTM MCU will have dedicate features to other daws as it has for ableton live

generic iTM apps are reportedly compatible with Ableton Live, Logic, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Finale

we are still waiting for more MCU reports but a new user has reported successful operation with logic despite our warnings it was not supported

Comment

hazza

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2004
iTM

This looks brilliant if it works well. Does it use Wi-Fi to communicate with the DAW? Is there any latency between the keys/buttons being pressed and the information being received at the DAW?

Comment

Nonnus3G

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
users have been amazed with latency / response

especially beatmaker users....

on a wireless connection (that can be crested without any router !) latency / delay is barely perceptible

whoever wishes to try it just needs to get the free iTM MidiLab in the app store and download the osx server app from http://www.itouchmidi.com

this way you can check if iTM works as expected before diving in

Comment

wavelayer

macrumors member
May 17, 2005
What's the benefit of the paid versions? I'm very impressed by the free version.

I'd like to know what exactly I'd be getting with extra $.:rolleyes:

Comment

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
this looks fantastic! and reasonably priced, too (unlike that other controller app :rolleyes: ).

will cubase and sibelius support be coming at some point? either way, i'm gonna download and try the free version with cubase 4 later today.

thanks for this great app!

Comment

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Latency is very low. Very impressive.

Another bonus (that the developer should really advertise) is that Keys works great with Garageband... no configuration required. Just launch the ITM server app, launch GarageBand, fire up Keys (or the free MidiLab) on the iPhone and you're good to go.

Comment

vadim.iablokov

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2007
ITM and Traktor

Has anyone been able to make the matrix or any other ITM app work with Traktor DJ Studio 3 for the mac?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.