iTMS Australia In January?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Australia are holding a press conference to coincide with MWSF on January 12. Historically, Apple Australia do not hold events like these to coincide with the US Macworld conferences, the appearance of which leads to suspicions of a release of the iTunes Music Store.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
australia

Macrumors said:
Apple Australia are holding a press conference to coincide with MWSF on January 12. Historically, Apple Australia do not hold events like these to coincide with the US Macworld conferences, the appearance of which leads to suspicions of a release of the iTunes Music Store.
this seems logical, i would see australia and then japan soon following. yay i made top ten postings

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
That's merry news for us down under, a few other sites have already started, but this will certainly kick them for ease of use.

And the price?

99c or $1.49 is my guess

Hopefully it will carry and feature LOTS of great aussie artists, and maybe even TISM!

trump

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2004
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
as a Canadian, I feel your pain Australia...but there is a light at the end of the tunnel :D

Now I wonder if these iTMS Australia threads will be as hectic as the Canadian ones

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
trump said:
as a Canadian, I feel your pain Australia...but there is a light at the end of the tunnel :D

Now I wonder if these iTMS Australia threads will be as hectic as the Canadian ones
I was thinking the same thing myself, at least the 12th isn't during exams, so I can enjoy sitting in front of my computer refreshing the page every minute for 2 days this time.

:)

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I am surprised Japan doesn't have one. When I think of Japan, I think of gadgets and high-tech. Australia is a surprise, I thought they had laws that made having a online music store impossible.

Slightly off topic, I wonder when it will reach 300 million downloads now that more countries are online and after a huge iPod sales quarter?

Rian

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2004
Wollongong, Australia
Finally!!!!!!

I'm in Tucson, AZ now, but will be moving to Wollongong, Australia in February... I've been waiting for this announcement! Hopefully this way I won't have to go without my iTunes at all!! :)

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
BornAgainMac said:
I am surprised Japan doesn't have one. When I think of Japan, I think of gadgets and high-tech. Australia is a surprise, I thought they had laws that made having a online music store impossible.

Slightly off topic, I wonder when it will reach 300 million downloads now that more countries are online and after a huge iPod sales quarter?
I heard japan also has laws that are making it hard for apple. There are some quotes from apple execs that say they are trying very very very hard to work with japan. My collegues in Japan can't wait for a local version ofiTuneMusic Store--they need to put stuff in their iPod mini, which everyone has. I bet the price per song and album will be really expensive, like everything else there.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement of iTunes for the Aussies, but also an announcement of an Apple Store. Australia can initially be well covered with 7 stores in each capital city - or 5 without the NT or Hobart. Australia would also be a very good test bed for Apple in a lot of areas so it's worth the effort. Might irritate the Kiwis though . . .

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
BornAgainMac said:
Not sure which iTMS canada thread it was in, but this was discussed before, and one of the main problems is the record labels, right now cds are increadibly expensive in Japan, so much so, that there is a black market for bringing them in from Korea (I think from there). Also, people rent cd's in Japan, and can legally (again not sure on this one) copy them onto minidisk, this is "encouraged" as the blank media is sold at the rental stores.

I'm sorry if anything is wrong here, I'm just posting from what I think I remembered reading in the iTMS threads.

sunilraman

macrumors regular
wwooden said:
I forgot what life is like without the iTMS store...:)
and I forget there are people who don't have it.
:rolleyes: yeah mate out here in the outback there's no bloody iTMS store :p

Rian said:
I'm in Tucson, AZ now, but will be moving to Wollongong, Australia in February... I've been waiting for this announcement! Hopefully this way I won't have to go without my iTunes at all!!
yeah sweet... you can still use iTMS USA if you still have your credit card but 1. now you can use your oz credit card and 2. yeah!!!! awesome finally Australia has iTunes music store !!!!!!!!!

hmm now if i didn't have so much debt on my credit card :mad: :(

sunilraman

macrumors regular
kenaustus said:
I wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement of iTunes for the Aussies, but also an announcement of an Apple Store. Australia can initially be well covered with 7 stores in each capital city - or 5 without the NT or Hobart. Australia would also be a very good test bed for Apple in a lot of areas so it's worth the effort. Might irritate the Kiwis though . . .
yeah that might be possible but i don't know how apple would swing that to integrate with the AppleCentres in Australian cities already present. Would it kinda convert those to AppleStores then open new ones?

it looks like 2005 is gonna be a big year for Apple aiming for market share growth to capitalise on PC slowdown? It has to have grand plans for australia if it is going to open apple stores.... :confused:

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I Have A Hunch!

I think Apple, just like within the company, is trying to separate the ipod and mac. What i'm saying here is that Apple is holding "special events" like in October to release ipod and itms items. And use WWDC and MW for mac stuff. I think these "special events" may become annual like WWDC and MW. So it could be that new ipods are launched at this Australia event just as ipods were released at the U2 event. What ya think?

BTW, do you think Steve will host?

sunilraman

macrumors regular
daveway00 said:
I Have A Hunch!

I think Apple, just like within the company, is trying to separate the ipod and mac. What i'm saying here is that Apple is holding "special events" like in October to release ipod and itms items. And use WWDC and MW for mac stuff. I think these "special events" may become annual like WWDC and MW. So it could be that new ipods are launched at this Australia event just as ipods were released at the U2 event. What ya think?

BTW, do you think Steve will host?
This is an interesting proposition.

By my calculations, 12 Jan Sydney 3.30pm is 8.30PM in San Francisco on the 2nd day of Macworld SF 2005.

That is, probably a videoconference hookup if they're gonna set something up at the Sydney Westin. So some Apple dudes/dudettes in San Francisco,in the evening after their 2nd day at the conference, will probably announce that Sanity and HMV will be going out of business in Oz :eek:

I guess that Steve will make a video appearance if its a major kinda Asia-Pacific-related announcement.

sunilraman

macrumors regular
Macrumors said:
Okay, unless i am WAY off, AppleInsider's post is somewhat incorrect because 3.30PM sydney time is 8.30PM on the 2ND day of Macworld SF. That is, it will be almost 12 hours after steve gives his keynote that the Sydney Westin event will be on, not "just hours after".... ;)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I can't wait for it, there has been speculation for months. I'd got my hopes up when Unwired CEO said something was 'coming' soon. But that seems to have fallen through (merely pushed back?)

I've registered for the event, I've never been to an Apple related event like it so it should be awesome.

sunilraman

macrumors regular
mac15 said:
I can't wait for it, there has been speculation for months. I'd got my hopes up when Unwired CEO said something was 'coming' soon. But that seems to have fallen through (merely pushed back?)

I've registered for the event, I've never been to an Apple related event like it so it should be awesome.
Wish I could be there... I bailed Sydney and am living with my parents in KL at the moment.. long story :(

(No, I am not wanted by the cops) ;)

What did the Unwired CEO say exactly? What does Unwired have to do with this? :confused:
(PS. i tried it and somehow the signal in Boyce street just off glebe point road in glebe does not quite work... :( )

I am absolutely bloody loving it that Oz rumor kids are starting to Represent! on these forums.... yeahhhhh our 15mins of fame (well, 15 days or so....)