Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2004
California
I upgraded iTunes, and opened iToner before iTunes. I then opened iTunes and watched it sync to my iPhone, even though it is not set to automatically sync, and then I watched iToner lose all the ringtones I had put on it... Right in front of my eyes. If Apple isn't deliberately targeting you, then I do not know what to call this....

Chris Welch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
New York
It just went up, folks. Apple hasn't even officially linked to it yet. Patience.

Erica Sadun over at TUAW seems optimistic that iToner will still function with 1.1.2. Take that however you'd like. But certainly wait for the word from Andrew before upgrading.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
It works. I installed 1.1.2 and then installed 2 of my ringtones. :D

It just went up, folks. Apple hasn't even officially linked to it yet. Patience.

Erica Sadun over at TUAW seems optimistic that iToner will still function with 1.1.2. Take that however you'd like. But certainly wait for the word from Andrew before upgrading.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
buy it anyway - even if it doesn't work straight away, on past performance it'll not be long before they find a way to make it work.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Can anyone confirm this? ... Just about to purchase iToner to use with my new iPhone (UK) this evening! :)

TIA

Multiple users are reporting no issues with iToner 1.0.4 and the 1.1.2 iPhone update.

Also, it appears the .m4a rename trick now works as 1.1.2 now supports Custom Ringtones which it stores in a directory of this name.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Multiple users are reporting no issues with iToner 1.0.4 and the 1.1.2 iPhone update.

Also, it appears the .m4a rename trick now works as 1.1.2 now supports Custom Ringtones which it stores in a directory of this name.

Either its a bug or Apple is finally waking up that the way they handle ringtones is silly and childish.

iWINuLOSE

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
question about itoner tones in itunes

hi all...

i just downloaded the trial version of itoner and it works great! however, the ringtones aren't showing up in the ringtones tab in itunes...is that suppose to happen? everything else works fine, tones are in my iphone and sound pretty good. just wondering why the ringtones i created aren't in the "ringtones" tab in itunes....:confused:

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
hi all...

i just downloaded the trial version of itoner and it works great! however, the ringtones aren't showing up in the ringtones tab in itunes...is that suppose to happen? everything else works fine, tones are in my iphone and sound pretty good. just wondering why the ringtones i created aren't in the "ringtones" tab in itunes....:confused:
The ringtones installed with iToner will not show up in iTunes regardless of which iPhone firmware you are currently running.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Any updates on itoner for 1.1.3 ?

Just checked . . . nothing. I, honestly, believe that there will be no update to eliminate the multi step process to get iToner to work with the newest iPhone update. I think they've given up this time :mad:

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
I sincerely hope you're wrong, as this would have been a total waste of money. I know it's only a few $... But it won't do much good for Ambrosia's credibility! :(

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Just checked . . . nothing. I, honestly, believe that there will be no update to eliminate the multi step process to get iToner to work with the newest iPhone update. I think they've given up this time :mad:

I would hope that a company like Ambrosia would not just stop trying. They don't seem like the type of company that will just abandon an application like that. If they do, it would be a highly unprofessional move and would keep me from buying any other software from them or recommending any to friends.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You can get it to work by having all your ringtones in AAC, then changing the extensions to .m4r and sync. However, I am finding that after a few syncs with iTunes they disappear and you have to reload them. Although it may be a problem that only I have, since I'm constantly changing the songs and videos on my iPhone.

TEG

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You can get it to work by having all your ringtones in AAC, then changing the extensions to .m4r and sync. However, I am finding that after a few syncs with iTunes they disappear and you have to reload them. Although it may be a problem that only I have, since I'm constantly changing the songs and videos on my iPhone.
Just use GarageBand and it works fine.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California

TEG

I have had a few issues with the workaround. Sometimes everything will work great, but others the ringtone won't work or show up. My whole point is that a lot of us paid the $15 for iToner when it was the best/easiest method and we would like to be able to use it still, even if some other methods are available.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
You can get it to work by having all your ringtones in AAC, then changing the extensions to .m4r and sync. However, I am finding that after a few syncs with iTunes they disappear and you have to reload them.

Hmm.. I don't seem to be getting this problem at all! Mine works fine! And I don't reckon I'd pay for iToner anyway seen as the work around only takes a little longer and is completely free and safe!

@Those who keep telling people to use Garage Band, a number of us don't have it because we are still on Windows (sadly..)

EDIT - They are working on an update to get iToner working with the 1.1.3 Firmware.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Hmm.. I don't seem to be getting this problem at all! Mine works fine! And I don't reckon I'd pay for iToner anyway seen as the work around only takes a little longer and is completely free and safe!

@Those who keep telling people to use Garage Band, a number of us don't have it because we are still on Windows (sadly..)

EDIT - They are working on an update to get iToner working with the 1.1.3 Firmware.

If you are basing that assumption on the statement posted on Ambrosia's web site don't hold your breath. I've gotten some disheartening email messages from Ambrosia that make me think otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.