iTouch 2G MC Model Questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by jonjosh, Apr 24, 2010.

1. jonjosh macrumors newbie

Im looking into buying a new iTouch by the end of June. And I have a few questions.

- Will it have the 3.1.3 firmware installed when I buy it?
    - Will it be able to be downgradeable and if so how?
    - Is it jailbreakable?

Thanks. :D

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It probably will come with 3.1.3, but since it's a 2G, it should be downgradable. To do so, you have to download the old firmware, and point itunes to it. If you downgrade it to 3.1.2 it will be jailbreakable, but it will be a tethered jailbreak (you have to hook it up to a computer to reboot)

Honestly, I'd recommend buying a 16GB 2G from the refurbished store. That'll have the old bootrom so you can always jailbreak at any firmware without being tethered, and you'll get twice the storage for the same price. With the apple refurbs, they change the back, the screen, and the battery so it's practically as good as new.

edit: seems they don't have the 16GB refurbished anymore. too bad. In that case I'd probably go for the 32GB since it's a lot more storage for only $50 more.

3. jonjosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to be clear, you and I are talking about the newest iTouch Model right?

If so, do you downgrade it using iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw?

And do you use blackra1n to jailbreak it or sn0wbreeze?

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Assuming we're talking about the 8GB model (not the current generation 32 or 64... those can't be downgraded) then yes, you use iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw. I would use blackra1n to jailbreak.

5. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

i would always use blackra1n to jailbreak it. it is the essayist way if you have a 3g or mc 2g ipt