iTouch 2g or jailbroken iTouch 1g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shadowmac4356, Dec 24, 2008.

1. shadowmac4356 macrumors newbie

I have a 1st gen iTouch but if I upgrade it to the 2.0 firmware then I get the App Store. Does this defeat the purpose of jailbreaking it then? Or can I upgrade it and jailbreak it when one is available for the 2g? Would that even be worth it?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can jailbreak iPod touch firmware 2.0 on the first-gen iPod touch only right now.

3. shadowmac4356 thread starter macrumors newbie

o good. thanks for answering. does it serve a purpose if I have the App Store though? I never really understood why I would want to jailbreak an iTouch anyway.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, then don't jailbreak. Just update to get the App Store.

5. kblessinggr macrumors member

I listed some of the reasons "why" in this article I wrote : http://www.ipodtouchanswers.com/touch-life/what-can-be-jailbroken-how-and-why/

I have a 1st Gen 16GB iPod Touch with firmware 2.2, and I do have it jailbroken.

Some people are perfectly content with the offerings in the App Store. But myself, I like having a backup option. I like being able to theme my iPod with new backgrounds and icons (which you can't do without jailbreaking), and I like being able to play old nintendo games with the emulator (yet again, not available in App Store). Some apps like Winterboard, NES, MxTube, and so forth were rejected from the app store, so the only way to get them is thru jailbreaking. Apple even rejected podcaster because they said it competed too much with iTunes even though iTunes at the time could not download podcast directly to the iPod without being near a computer.

It's a personal preference, but personally I like having the extra choice.

6. shadowmac4356 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome. I'm definitely going to upgrade it and then jailbreak it also. Thanks everyone.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol i see what you did there

8. CoolhandBlue macrumors newbie

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ Yea, my dumbassed friend calls every Apple product with an 'i' in front of it. He looked really dumb calling the iPhone the iiPhone (pronounced eeee-phone) :D Happy Holidays everyone!