iTouch and Enterprise email?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cujo63, Mar 31, 2008.

1. cujo63 macrumors newbie

first off, a newbie to iTouch. I think I already know the answer to this question (because if it worked, AT&T loses a bunch of money). Looking to pick up a 16GB iTouch. Looked at the iPhone but don't want to enable the addiction to email (read crackberry). Currently carry a phone, blackberry and nano. I've kept them separate for a variety of reasons. I think the iTouch could actually perform as a great music/movie/pic library and may act as a nice PDA with wifi and apps. Access to my enterprise email (like with the AT&T blackberry) would be nice but question if this would work beyond the standard web-portal email (yahoo, google, etc.).

Anyone attempt to access enterprise email with their iTouch? Any suggestions (besides buy an iPhone)? Thx.

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Yes. IMAP/Exchange. But you won't get all the workgrouping features.

3. cujo63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. So there's a ray of hope. The AT&T link to my blackberry was easy and seamless despite the fact that my company claims it can't be done. My hesitation was that the "pipe" was set up via AT&T site. It just worked, so I didn't question "how". I think getting my enterprise email will require a little more of the "how" to make it work on the itouch. Any reference sites, links, guides. If I can get this to work, it's a life changer.

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Combine them into an iPhone... why carry three devices when you can one? for somebody like me who travels on tube and in the city a lot, it is very useful and a lot less to worry

iPhone will stone your blackberry as it is so easy to type using touchscreen. You will be able to sync your Exchange account providing IMAP is enabled on server.... probably wont be and IT technician probably wont agree to enable... so if you can hold on till SDK 2.0 update then get an iPhone you will see how it changes your life..

5. cujo63 thread starter macrumors newbie

holding off on the combined approach to keep the firewall between my voice and email access. The people that read email during social events drive me crazy and don't want to join that crowd (but will screen and excuse myself for important phone calls). Thanks for the IMAP pointer. Enterprise email is currently forwarded to my blackberry, so maybe it is enabled.