iTouch Automatically Deletes Songs?!?!?!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JDub586, Mar 7, 2008.

1. JDub586 macrumors newbie

I've had my iTouch for about 3 months now and it was working fine but all of a sudden it's been deleting songs and videos from my iTouch for no reason. It's no where near full (only has 1GB worth of stuff on there with 13GB still free) so that isn't the problem. I add new songs then it when I unplug it from the computer the songs I added the time before that are gone. For example it would go like this:

- Plug in iTouch add song #1
    - unplug iTouch
    - plug in iTouch add song #2
    - unplug iTouch song #1 is gone
    - repeat forever and ever

Some times when I just plug it in to charge and not even add anything it it will delete stuff. Anyone ever have this problem or know how to fix it? :confused:

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Strange problem, are you sure that all of the stuff that you want to go on your iPod touch (music, videos, etc.) is in your iTunes Library? Also, have you tried restoring your iPod? And lastly, have you jailbroken it or added any apps using a SFTP? You may have messed it up if you have done so.

If you have done nothing wrong and have tried restoring it, you might want to either call Apple or go to a Genius Bar to see about a fix or a replacement.

3. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

First a few questions.

Do you have the latest firmware?
    Is it jailbroken?
    And what are your iTunes iPod settings like?

4. kepner macrumors 6502

Are you using Auto-sync, or have you chosen to manually manage music and videos on your iPod?

5. JDub586 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the latest firmware. It isn't jailbroke. Never added any kind of apps or anything like that to it just music and videos. All the music being added is in the iTunes library.

I haven't tried to restore it yet. I was just looking to see if it was a common problem and could be fixed somehow first.

Manually.

6. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Easiest thing to do would be to do a restore, and see from there

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Try doing it automatically, and if it works, then at least you know that your iPod does not have any problems. Then you may want to see if you are making any mistakes while manually managing your stuff.

8. kepner macrumors 6502

If it's set to manually manage, then it should never delete anything on its own. Obviously, somethings wrong. I would try restoring before going through the hassle of requesting a replacement from Apple.

9. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Also i don't know about apple, but with lots or retailers, if it is then covered under their warranty they'll just tell you to restore it (or bring it over to their computer and do it for you) before they'll take it in to get fixed.

I don't know how many problems i've seen fixed by doing a restore, from not working with hardware accessories to freezing.

10. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

If, as in your example, you're trying ONLY to add song #2, then that's all that will transfer to the touch.

When you add a song to your iTunes library, you'll have to select everything in the library that you want to sync.

Say you have songs A, B, C, D, E, F and G in your library and in you touch.

Now you add song H to the library.

You can't simply add song H to the touch; you have to sync everything, or at least select the ones you want.

Snyc'ing clears the touch lobrary and then adds what you've directed iTunes to add.

11. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's supposed to do that, when you manually manage songs you drag a song onto the iPod icon (the iTunes one) one at a time, or in groups, i've never heard of that problem with manually managing before. From what i've seen it is NOT supposed to work that way.

12. hudsora Suspended

Since you only have 1GB of songs on it, just restore the ipod and put the stuff back on it. . .Shouldn't take more then 10 min to do the whole thing

13. kepner macrumors 6502

I'm sure the original poster knows how manually managing his iPod is supposed to work. It shouldn't add anything without you telling it to, and it shouldn't delete anything without you telling it to. He claims that songs that he has added previously are being deleted without his consent. This should not happen. Something is wrong with either iTunes or his iPod.

Right. And if that doesn't work, you're going to want to get it replaced.

14. pookie5532 macrumors newbie

this has just happen to me!!!!

:mad:WTF i have lost 100$ worth of songs. i bought my itouch 3 months ago as well. im calling apple today. ill write back to tell everyone what they said.

15. pookie5532 macrumors newbie

I called apple

they are sending the songs that iam missing to my itunes account. so that i can download them again. cool..:D

16. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

You lost $100 worth of songs and it's cool that they are replacing one song??

17. pookie5532 macrumors newbie

songssssss sorry!!

18. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

wow. rip on him some more for missing one key:rolleyes:

pookie5532: did it erase them from your computer? did you check in your itunes music folder?

OP: try a ipod touch restore, if that dosent work, try re-installing itunes.
    and if that dosent work, talk to apple (the 1-800 #) i have never had luck at the "genious" bar

19. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

It was a very good song ok!