Itouch Backup Error (-20)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by k.kikichi, Aug 12, 2010.

1. k.kikichi macrumors newbie

So, I've been searching around god-knows how many different forums / websites to try and figure out how to fix this problem (Backup error -20) because I can't update anything on my itunes OR itouch until it's fixed.

The error started just a bit after I downloaded the 4.0 update =/ My itouch should be a generation 3 (I bought it from a friend a while ago) and I'm using my laptop which is a Windows Vista.

I honestly am at my wits ends, and I'm hoping that someone here can help me (including explain things in laments terms, because I computer genius, I am not!) fix this problem, because I have no idea what to do!

I'd really really appreciate it.

2. EllieV macrumors 6502

can you reset it?
    And where does it display this error?

3. k.kikichi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll take a Screen-shot and show you what it looks like, (excuse the blackout, i'm not comfortable have my name all over the web! xD)

Generally this pops up every time I try to sync my itouch with my itunes. I also learned today that it pops up when you try updating itunes as well, because both situations need to have your itouch backed up before it can do anything else. : (

Anyways, I've looked at other forums and they said that you should just default the settings by just clicking the "restore" button. The problem is, I can't restore it because the itouch has to backup the settings and everything before it restores it, which is where the problem lies. It wont backup anything. =/

Other people say that its a security safeware problem, but that's no help because no one explains how to go about fixing it if it IS a safeware program issue. -sighs-

Thanks for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it.

4. EllieV macrumors 6502

Try resetting it on the iPod its self through setting. (and your name is still showing in one place...:D)

5. k.kikichi thread starter macrumors newbie

EFFFFF. xD Thanks for telling me? -sighs- there goes my attempt for anonymity?

Alright, now by restarting it through setting means ....? >.> Sorry, i'm honestly the most hopeless person when it comes to itunes, or computers in general.

6. EllieV macrumors 6502

Your anonymity is still there, it's only your first name (unless your last name is in your username)

I have my first name public, and I dot feel my anonymity is compromised.

(make sure the iPod isn't plugged into the computer)
    on the iPod itsself, click the setting app (gear), click general, scroll down and click reset. And then I think you should click, reset all settings (I'm not sure if you should erase data or not. I'm gonna be away from wifi for awhile, so May not be able to respond

7. k.kikichi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so muuch~! :DD I really appreciate it, i'm gonna try to restart / restore it now and see what happens, hopefully it'll fix the problem. >.<

8. k.kikichi thread starter macrumors newbie

So I tried to fix it that way, by restart my ipod that is, and it didn't fix the problem either.

T____T Is there no way to fix this?? -dies-

9. EllieV macrumors 6502

Go to an Apple store's genius bar, and see if someone can help you there