iTouch Being Discontinued? Developer/Linea Pro

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by loon3y, Jun 19, 2014.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

I read an article here about the iWatch release may discontinue the iTouch.

Really? this is ridiculous

How are apple going to market their products for Order taking, whether its POS or trade shows?

none of our customers want to buy a 700 dollar iPhone off contract just to use it with a linea pro sleeve when they can just get an itouch for 200-300 dollars. considering the linea pro sleeve is ALREADY 500 bucks

they're going to force business to dish out 1,200 dollars? for ONE device? that makes absolutely no sense.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't see your link, but my guess is it is someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and is trying to generate page views. There is a market for the iPod touch, so it won't be discontinued for a long time. The Classic might be but the touch won't.

3. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

it was actually a mac rumors article, possibly just talking about the classic iPod but they showed a picture of all the iPod Series (iTouch, Nano, Shuffle, etc etc)

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/22/iwatch-could-replace-ipod/

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

The article refers to the iPod line, no mention at all about the Touch as a specific model.

The photo is meaningless. If the Touch's presence is meaningful in the photo, then the Classic's absence should also be meaningful. Nope, this is 24/7 journalism - get the story online ASAP. They looked at their library of Apple product illustrations, and picked one. The article did not call-out the Touch, so why look for an image that excludes it?

There are good reasons to believe the Touch would be the last iPod to go, if it goes at all (it could become "iPad Pocket" or some such). First and foremost, it's an iOS device, unlike all the other iPods. That makes it very popular with parents who aren't ready to give their kids a phone, but want them to have the #1 pocket gaming device. Games, texting, videos... these are functions for which a 2.5" (or smaller) iWatch screen are poorly-suited. And far fewer parents will spend $700 on an iWatch for the kids than currently spend $229 on a Touch - it'll make it far more likely that they'd give them/buy the kid a used iPhone - something that won't be a heart-breaker when it gets smashed (sapphire screen notwithstanding).

iWatch is likely to be just fine as a music player, so it whittles the 2-device athlete (biometrics monitor plus iPod) down to a single device... the market for the Shuffle and Nano therefore shrinks, but that would have no effect on the market for the Touch.

5. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

i was thinking in the whole business aspect of it.

in terms of retail, trade shows, and showrooms.

they absolutely need to improve the iTouch, its running on an iPad 2 processor.

if they ever do discontinue the iTouch its going to be a huge loss in terms of the business industry

no average company is going to pay $1200 for the linea pro device [$500] (the barcode scanner/creditcard swiper that apple uses) and an off contract iPhone [$700].

yes some owners/managers dont mind (i wish it were the case because it was hell optimizing our app for the outdated processor and the 512gb of ram that the touch currently has), but we just need to keep the option for those that do.

if you have to buy 5-10 theres a huge difference when the ending price is $800 compared to $1200

6. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

I certainly won't pay about $900 in the US just for an MP3 player. That's what the iPhone will cost me :rolleyes:
    Yes it has a phone as well but I don't need a new phone. The touch is also old. We need a bigger screen, better processor etc.

:apple: seems to be putting their eggs in one basket with the iPhone. Bad idea.
    Touch was about 2% of the revenue line. Small but still profitable :cool:

7. anotherbane macrumors newbie

think so,That's what the iPhone will cost me.Yes it has a phone as well but I don't need a new phone. The touch is also old. We need a bigger screen, better processor etc. [​IMG]

8. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

They just updated the line. The iPods ain't going nowhere! :D