iTouch Firmware Update

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kesuzo, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Kesuzo macrumors newbie

The firmware on my iTouch2G is 3.0 and I want to know to what firmware can i update it too where I can jailbreak it.

I havent been able to update it to 3.1.3 after countless tries using different methods so can someone tell me a fool-proof way of updating it and then jailbreaking it.

I don't mind it not being 3.1.3 but I want to be able to jailbreak a higher version then the one i have since most apps are coming out for later versions. If there's a video, then post it or if there's a sequence of things to do, list them. I'm at my wit's end. Help me internetz.

2. celticpride678

Apple is no longer signing anything lower than iOS 4.0.2 at this time, meaning that's the only choice you have.

What iPod touch do you have?

3. Kesuzo thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the iTouch2g 16gb. Man...so does this mean I'll have to upgrade to 4.0.2? Is there any way I can downgrade to 3.1.3 after upgrading?

4. celticpride678

No.

However, since you have the second-generation iPod touch, you'll be able to jailbreak using redsn0w, even on iOS 4.0.2

5. Kesuzo thread starter macrumors newbie

But I have a strong feeling that because I have a 2nd gen itouch, runnign iOS 4.0.2 would make the itouch slow and not as responsive, or am I incorrect in assuming so? I've heard some horror stories.

6. celticpride678

Best thing to do right now is just wait for iOS 4.1 which will be released this week.

7. Kesuzo thread starter macrumors newbie

But what difference does it make if I wait for iOS 4.1? Doesn't updating to the newest iOS represent that I'm not going to be able to jailbreak? And won't iOS 4.1 run slow on my iTouch2g?

8. celticpride678

iOS 4.1 adresses performance issues with iOS 4.0

As for jailbreaking, yes, it could take some time for a jailbreak to be released, but it will eventually come.

9. Abscissa macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that guy is right, but you could always try to go to 3.1.3 (felixburns.de)

idk if itll work or not. i doubt it. but, 3.1.3 is able to jailbreak as well as 4.0. 4.0.2 isn't though.

10. celticpride678

It won't - trust me (I've tried).

4.0.2 is jailbreakable for this specific device.

11. Kesuzo thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I update to 4.0.2, I'd be able to jailbreak it? Is there a specific site or link you could give me so I could do it right now?

12. celticpride678

redsn0w.com

13. Kesuzo thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, what I did was upgrade to 4.0, then jailbreak using redsn0w. Seems to working pretty well for now. Will let you know if any problems rise up.

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Did you use DFU mode? 3.1.x didn't have blobs for the 2g afaik, so there shouldn't be any issue downgrading