iTouch FROZE!! need help quick!! WON'T BUDGE!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Anthem26, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Anthem26 macrumors newbie

I was watching a clip of 'whose line is it anyway' on youtube, and not until a few seconds in, the video completely froze and my ipod was making a weird siren noise. I can't turn it off; i've tried holding the buttons down (the home and the ? -don't know what the other one is called) and combination of both for a while, but the thing won't budge. I also tried plugging it in to itunes, hoping it would return to the home display window, but itunes isn't recognizing it. Right now the only thing I can think of is let the power drain and hope maybe it will restart normally after i recharge it.

FYI The ipod is a jailbreak v1.1.1. It had been acting weirdly today (I'm not exactly sure if it has anything to do with the freezing, but i guess it's still worth mentioning) after trying to download all the new updates. One of the downloads didn't update, so i assumed I didn't have enough space because the dialogue box 'not enough memory/delete some videos and pictures' would so often appear. As a result, I tried downloading an application that would adjust the partition space so i could continue adding applications to my itouch, except that download and installation wasn't successful. At that point, a dominoe effect was triggered, other application installations and uninstallers weren't working properly as I would get a display box saying something like 'download has failed'.

If the power draining method doesn't work, hopefully someone could offer some advice in how to fix this 300 dollar piece of gadget because I don't remember reading anything in the EULA about Apple covering jail broken ipods.

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Wow, sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope it recovers for you, but since it won't sync up, I can't think of anything.. The siren noise was emitted with headphones, I'm assuming, as the alternative would be even more disturbing! Do you have a plug in charger? Sometimes that can "shock" it into charging mode. Good luck.

3. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Yeah, if it were me, as you said I'd let the power drain. It's not like you have any other options it seems. Good luck and of course re-post an update of your end results.

Mike

4. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

That is the risk you take when you install applications from unknown sources and allow free access to the root of the system.

Did you actually know what you were doing when you were moving files around in the root of the system?

Don't worry. I think that you will be alright. Either try to put the device in service recovery mode or just wait until the battery drains.

Also, Independence is a great tool to restore iPhones. Also, check out the newly released iBooter. This is a diagnostic tool released by Niacin (a well-known iPhone hacker).

At least you have the 1.1.1 firmware, which in my opinion, is the easiest to jailbreak and most stable for running 3rd party apps. So, if you have to restore, it will not be as much as a pain to get back to where you were.

Please let me know if your device recovers.

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Okay, i know you said you held down both buttons, but for how long?
    If it does not respond after 5 secconds, i guess you have to get Ziphone, and kick it into DFU mode with that... (it works with both mac and pc.)
    read the sig

6. Anthem26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great news everyone, the 'draining the power' method worked!

7. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

awesome! glad something worked!

8. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Aren't you glad the battery life sucks on the touch? :D

9. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

LOL I'm glad you got it working again. :)