iTouch frozen, locked because of passcode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BombayCharlie, Sep 6, 2009.

1. BombayCharlie macrumors newbie

hi My sons itouch 2nd gen. just froze last night. I've read all of the posts and have tried to reboot it. The apple logo appears, and then the battery charging screen appears, but I can't move the slider. When I attach it to iTunes in my computer. I get a message that it can't be accessed because of the passcode. I can't enter the passcode because the screen is locked. Any one know of a way to unlock this?

Thanks for the help in advance

Charlie

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

BTDT.

That is exactly what happened to mine 2 days after i got it. I was closer to the Apple Store than my house, so i drove there. While asking how long the wait would be - i said it's simple, it's FROZEN. He took it and did his Genius Magic while i played in the store! LOL!!

I have no clue what exactly he did, i'm guessing it was a DFU mode thingy. I'm still having some crashing of apps - enough that the Genius is willing to replace it if i'll do another restore for him (apparently safari crashing on a Touch is a bad thing).

Hopefully someone can help more than i, i really wish i'd asked him exactly what he did. But really, i needed to get home!

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You've said you tried rebooting, but have you tried all these steps:

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I did and none of it worked...

Frozen is the word to use here. I don't know the terms of what was done - i'd call it a low-level wipe/format, is that the DFU restore you guy talk about?

I then set it up as a new iPod on my computer when i got home.

(for the record, my DD was playing the Catapult Penguin game when it happened.. then it was trying to change the music, and when i finally got OUT of the app by holding down the home button, it switched to being frozen, you could hear when you tried to type a passcode on it - but nothing was entering into the unit)

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

DFU Mode:

6. BombayCharlie thread starter macrumors newbie

frozen screen

Hi. I tried everything that all have suggested here. I can't move any of the sliders...the screen is frozen

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you tried the DFU restore, and it didn't work, the only thing left is to call Apple or take it to the Apple Store.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Turn the device off, and then hold the home button down while connecting the phone to your computer, and that will force the device into Recovery mode, and you should be able to restore it from there.