iTouch ifconfig missing (3.0)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by chiil, Aug 14, 2009.

1. chiil macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

My wife gave me the iTouch that came free with her new laptop purchase... and I'm really enjoying getting into the guts of this thing. It's a 2G iTouch 8GB and I've already got it running 3.0 and jail broken.

Now to my question...

I have installed Mobile Terminal to do all my command line stuff, and I noticed that there is no "ifconfig" located in the /sbin directory. I've done a "find / -name ifconfig" and it doesn't find it. I went ahead and copied over the ifconfig executable from my PC (Leopard), and it doesn't run because it's intended for the PPC and x86 chipset ("file ifconfig" will show this).

I'm scratching my head and wondering where or how everyone is running their ifconfig command, if it appears it's not part of the iTouch OS.

Did Apple remove it in 3.0?

Thanks,
    Gabe

2. chiil thread starter macrumors newbie

Wondering now... is there a binary repository that needs to be installed post hack?

3. JadeStar macrumors newbie

missing command-line tools... found!

I wondered the same thing, until I found this Google-cached page:
    http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...one&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

In case it becomes completely unavailable, the page said:
    However, it looks like adv-cmds also includes "last", network-cmds also includes "netstat", inetutils includes "rlogin", and shell-cmds includes "time". On my jailbroken iPhone 3G/3.0, shell-cmds, grep, find, and diff-utils were already installed, but that might have happened as a prerequisite to some early package I installed shortly after jailbreaking... perhaps x11 or Terminal?

I hope this info helps anyone else with the same question!

4. nclark42 macrumors newbie

JadeStar:

yes, it was quite helpful. thanks!

-neal