itouch is not charging but appears in itunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kityah, Jan 27, 2012.

1. kityah macrumors newbie

Itouch is not charging, but appears in Itunes. What should I do? HELP! :S

2. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Try a different cable.
    Reseat the one you are using.
    Power down the Touch and start it up again.
    Do a reset on it.
    If you are using a USB hub, don't.

I had this issue with an older Touch, and by unplugging/plugging the sync cable a few times I was able to get it to finally work. I just figured that it was dirty/dusty in the dock slot although I couldn't see anything overt.

3. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

And if you absolutely have no choice but to use a USB hub, then make sure it is an independently powered hub, rather than bus-powered. Bus-powered hubs are not permitted to supply more than 200 mA of electrical current to any single downstream device, and that's not enough to charge an iPod touch.

Independently active-powered hubs are permitted to deliver at least 500 mA of current to each downstream device, sufficient for charging an iPod touch.

4. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I've had mixed luck with even powered hubs. I had my iPhone hooked to one and had issues with syncing and opened a case with AppleCare and we sifted through the logs and found that the iPhone was not liking the hub for some reason. I tried different hubs at the time and ended up sacrificing one built-in USB port for the sync cable and the problems went away. I went through four different hubs and finally gave up. I don't know if it's my system, or my iPhone, or what the issue was. Now I just direct connect for syncing, and charging (which I'm doing a hell of a lot more after getting the 4s).

All my portable Apple toys seem happier since the change. Recent experience: trying to sync and charge my iPad and iPhone, I had the iPhone plugged in direct, and the iPad on a hub. No sync on the iPad. Plugged my iPod Classic into the hub connected cable and it synced/charged. Go figure... :confused:

THIS is why I have sent numerous emails to sjobs@apple.com over the years to request that Apple put more USB ports on their systems. I can get a Windoze box with 14 USB ports, and an iMac comes with what? Four? :(