Jan 27, 2012
Itouch is not charging, but appears in Itunes. What should I do? HELP! :S

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Try a different cable.
Reseat the one you are using.
Power down the Touch and start it up again.
Do a reset on it.
If you are using a USB hub, don't.

I had this issue with an older Touch, and by unplugging/plugging the sync cable a few times I was able to get it to finally work. I just figured that it was dirty/dusty in the dock slot although I couldn't see anything overt.

Comment

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
If you are using a USB hub, don't.
And if you absolutely have no choice but to use a USB hub, then make sure it is an independently powered hub, rather than bus-powered. Bus-powered hubs are not permitted to supply more than 200 mA of electrical current to any single downstream device, and that's not enough to charge an iPod touch.

Independently active-powered hubs are permitted to deliver at least 500 mA of current to each downstream device, sufficient for charging an iPod touch.

Comment

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
And if you absolutely have no choice but to use a USB hub, then make sure it is an independently powered hub, rather than bus-powered. Bus-powered hubs are not permitted to supply more than 200 mA of electrical current to any single downstream device, and that's not enough to charge an iPod touch.

Independently active-powered hubs are permitted to deliver at least 500 mA of current to each downstream device, sufficient for charging an iPod touch.
I've had mixed luck with even powered hubs. I had my iPhone hooked to one and had issues with syncing and opened a case with AppleCare and we sifted through the logs and found that the iPhone was not liking the hub for some reason. I tried different hubs at the time and ended up sacrificing one built-in USB port for the sync cable and the problems went away. I went through four different hubs and finally gave up. I don't know if it's my system, or my iPhone, or what the issue was. Now I just direct connect for syncing, and charging (which I'm doing a hell of a lot more after getting the 4s).

All my portable Apple toys seem happier since the change. Recent experience: trying to sync and charge my iPad and iPhone, I had the iPhone plugged in direct, and the iPad on a hub. No sync on the iPad. Plugged my iPod Classic into the hub connected cable and it synced/charged. Go figure... :confused:

THIS is why I have sent numerous emails to sjobs@apple.com over the years to request that Apple put more USB ports on their systems. I can get a Windoze box with 14 USB ports, and an iMac comes with what? Four? :(

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.