itouch memory capacity

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Quinney8, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Quinney8 macrumors newbie

Hi

Am new to all this downloading and using itunes etc and aopolgise if this is in the wrong place however if somone could help me that would be great.

Apparently my itouch has 2.93gb of "Other" taking up the memory along with the music and photos. What is this "other" and how can i get rid of it? Its only recently appeared and as i only have 8gb memory its taking up alot of room!

Any help appreciated especially in Lehmans terms!

Cheers

2. todor15 macrumors newbie

almost ditto

hmm thats interesting...i think what you may need to do is just update ur itunes...i mean thats my best guess...but i also have kind of the same problem because i only carry 400 songs on my 8gb itouch and that 400 songs takes up half my memory??? how is that possible knowing that it should hold like 1700 songs or whatever that number was????
    thank u

3. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

That sounds like memory corruption...do a restore, that should solve the problem.

4. Mechanicus macrumors member

my touch is brand new and only had 14.3 gigs free (16 gig model) when I plugged it in the first time. I assume it's the GUI and firmware.

5. biikman macrumors regular

Thats part of it, but it's also about how the a gigabyte is defined :
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1594

6. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Firstly, we do not support the iTouch at the MacRumors forums. We do, however, support Apple's iPod Touch.

Typically, "Other" refers to the iPod firmware (downloaded through iTunes), or even excess files you might have on the device. My best suggestion is to totally restore the iPod Touch. Have iTunes wipe out every file, and then reinstall everything from the ground up. :D

7. GT41 macrumors regular

More importantly what the drive capacity is unformated vs formated. A 16GB drive when formated will be 14.8 or so GB and then you add on the firmware 350MB and maybe a few apps and you are very quickly down to less than 14.5GB. But after that additional apps and files should not make a huge dent in your capacity, so if you are experiencing major memory loss beyond that restore as you probably have some memory corruption.

8. biikman macrumors regular

but a 16 gig drive unformatted still isn't truely 16 gigs correct? I always thought a drive wasn't really what was advertised, regardless of if it was formatted or not...

9. Tilt macrumors member

I too noticed as I add a lot of album art the "other" space keeps increasing. I've loaded about 2000 songs and started loading some album art.
    Can you attach one picture to an album or do you have to copy it to each song as I've been doing. I too am new to all this.

10. biikman macrumors regular

you could attach it to only one song, but then when you are listening to a song that didn't have a album cover atrtached, you would just see the grey generic music icon.

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Actually, we support Apple's iPod touch.

Couldn't help myself :p

12. mvpjackk macrumors newbie

itouch memory problem

hi this actually just happend to me today
    i read the previous answers, restore it and bad memory, i tried restore it and it didnt work. the bad memory was what was wrong, i deleted some of the new videos i had tried putting on it today. My suggestion, delete w/e new video if any you may have added on. the format that comes with some videos has a lot of space so it may be all your "other" and btw same thing applies to music files as well

13. scrappledog macrumors member

I think anyone who seriously cares that much about someone referring to the iPod touch as the iTouch -- to the point they need to correct someone -- is an iDouche.

14. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Or perhaps iHole ?

Nothing personal about the iTouch corrector: I just agree that getting , well, touchy about the exact name of this device doesn't make much sense.

15. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The administrators of this forum have a longstanding policy that effectively says, as long as the intended meaning of a sentence is clear given the context of the message, people aren't supposed to increase the noise level by arguing over non-standard grammar or language (like iPod touch vs iTouch, or Mac vs MAC vs Macintosh).

Toward the end of November last year, they clarified this policy specifically as it pertains to the iPod touch with a new rule saying that any posts which do nothing more than correct others' use of the iTouch name, or otherwise contribute to the bickering over the name should be reported to the moderators and will likely be deleted.

On the other hand, if the choice of language is so inaccurate or nonspecific that the object of the question or comment is genuinely unclear, then a polite request for clarification is probably a good thing.

The messages in question in this thread were written about month before the clarification was posted.