iTouch not recognized in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vabell52, Oct 20, 2011.

1. vabell52 macrumors newbie

spill, distorted sound, itouch not recognized.
    Posted this previously in Mac basics, help, will try here, hoping someone has some suggestions.
    Several issues here, not sure where to post, however--10 or so days ago a beer was spilled on macbookpro near side with ports. Shut it down for overnight. Issues seen next day = some crackling, popping, sound not clear. iTouch, 4th gen now not recognized in iTunes nor iPhoto. Nor does device show in system profiler when connected via USB. USB port does work when connecting my camera. Is more power needed for the iTouch? Current required and current available all read okay. iTouch does show on my PC so not the device or the cable. From my research, several remedies to try--I deleted sophos antivirus, I removed and reinstalled apple mobile device service and reinstalled iTunes. I reset all settings on iTouch. All with no results.
    I see no other issues from the spillage, everything else is fine. Is there anything else I can try? I appreciate any response. This is my first troubleshooting experience with a mac, I am still learning
    iTunes 10.5
    MAC OS 10.6.8
    iTouch 4.3.5
    macbook purchased April 2010

2. batchtaster macrumors 65816

3. vabell52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ouch! Thanks for the correction. If I had access to another Mac I surely would have tried that.

4. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Try plugging in an iPod touch.

*Shares same pet peeve*

On topic: Try using a different USB cable and different USB ports. If you have another PC or Mac somewhere try connecting your iPod to it. If its still not recognized then you might need to send the iPod to the Apple Store.

5. vabell52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks SuperSteve, as stated earlier, ipod is recognized in iTunes on old PC with no issues. So don't think it's the device. On Mac, no go on either USB port. However, my camera is recognized on MAC USB; can I conclude that the port is working properly and it's a software issue? Problem started after the spill, so????

6. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

It sounds like your Mac's USB ports are messed up. Does anything else other than the camera plug in correctly? USB mice? Keyboards? Webcams? Flashdrives?

Either way, the solution to this in fixing your Mac which i unfortunately have no knowledge on. Sorry.

7. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Incorrect

iPod Touch = iTouch *Macrumors

Both ipod touch and itouch can be used interchangeably to refer to the same product from apple.

8. vabell52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks BlizzardBolt, enjoying reading that thread, now I know it's not just my chemo brain!;)
    As for my problem, took the laptop to repair shop, turns out the logic board is damaged from the spill. However, all else is still working fine, I even have been able to get some volume back. Now, a wait and see if any thing else fails. It's been almost a month now, so fingers crossed. I won't spend the bucks for a new board.