itouch release pricing

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by static2k, May 24, 2011.

1. static2k macrumors newbie

Hello, I plan on buying my first itouch 32gb once the 5g is released. I was wondering the price range for new releases and if it ever drops? I see the itouch 4g now in the $275 - $299 range, will the price drop when the 5g comes out?

~Thanks

2. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

You can get a refurbished 4g 32 gig on the apple web site for $259 RIGHT NOW.

In the past I've bought refurbed stuff & have friends who have too, with no problems.

3. static2k thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd prefer the 5g itouch. I'm just wondering if the price for the 5g upon release will be around where the 4g is now. Also curious if the 4g will have a price drop after 5g is released to know for the future how apple operates. My first time ever purchasing anything mac related.

4. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately nobody is going to be able to tell you that with absolute certainty. With the 4g there was a price hike, so one would think the 5g would be around the same price; but we won't know till it's released.

With that said, the 4g is a fabulous device, and from what it sounds, there isn't going to be a huge change. And you could have it now.

5. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

My guess would be that Apple will drop the price $30-$50, £20-£40 where us Welsh live ;) ... I dont think that Apple can put much more into the iPod Touches now to be honest, everything's all there, camera, HD display, Facetime, Apps etc.

I haven't bought a 4th gen the same as you because I think the 5th gen will be considerably cheaper when it comes out... Although I could be COMPLETELY wrong and Apple can be Apple and bump the price up $100...

(Also, I've heard the biggest rumour is that Apple are scrapping the home button and making the screen 4" to keep up with the Samsung Galaxy's etc.)

6. static2k thread starter macrumors newbie

We shall see!

Thanks likethesoup2 and Goftrey

7. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

My guess is that the 5th gen will be priced about the same as the 4th gen.

8. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

price will drop
    incorrect

When a new item comes out but a previous version of the item still exists, stores through conventional wisdom try to clear out their inventory for the new version. This applies to the ipod touch.
    You can expect anywhere from a 20$ to 100$ drop depending on store and the model (8GB,32GB,64GB).

Thus the 4G will be at a lower price but the 5G will take over the 4G original price with its added features. This is the best time to buy as you can decide between different prices and generation. This only happens until 4G production stops and sells out which would be late september early october.

9. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

I think the price will be in the same level as iPod Touch 4:D