iTouch "requires" iTunes registration?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ps56k, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ps56k macrumors member

ps56k

I was reading a news blurb outlining the missed steps concerning the iTouch.
    One of the items mentioned, was that you needed to have an active iTunes account (with money) to basically start using the iTouch... even if you weren't going to purchase anything from the iStore or iStarbucks.

Our mode of operation is basically running iTunes as a ripper, and "manually" syncing with our current iPod... since we also do it from our weekend getaway location. We have yet to use iTunes for purchasing iStore tunes.

SO - if we get an iTouch - what is the logistics when we take it out of the box ? Do we have to sync it with a system that has an active iTunes account ?

We would only want the iTouch vs the fat nano for the WiFi browser usage.

2. chall5 macrumors regular

I don't think you have to register, there is a "Register Later" option in iTunes but I'm not sure if, after a certain number of presses, it forces you to register

3. Nats16 macrumors member

No you don't have to register. I haven't yet and i am using mine! :)

4. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

You do have to connect the Touch to a system w./iTunes before you can do anything (Safari, calculator, anything) on it. Far as I know, however, that iTunes does NOT need to be logged in, have a paying ID, etc.

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I haven't registered, after you press the "Register Later" button a few times a "Never Register" button appears, which I clicked, and my iPod is fine :D

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

8. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

... let me expand on that. I guess all it does is send them your serial number so in case it gets stolen you can report it. beyond that I dont know what the big deal is... does anyone know?

arisian

9. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I was getting an email from Apple every few days about all kinds of non-sale items - just unsubscribed.

I think it helps with support - they tie your SN to your Apple ID and know what product you're talking about. Although, didn't seem to help in my case...

10. chall5 macrumors regular

I got an email when I registered !! :)

Seriously, don't you need to register it you want to buy from the iTunes store using your Touch ?

11. CrockettGTO macrumors regular

You don't need to register it however you do at least have to create an iTunes store account and be logged in to download album cover art if nothing else