ITouch Safari issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DavidS, Jan 9, 2009.

1. DavidS macrumors newbie

I would appreciate help on three minor issues on iTouch, please.
    • Will the Safari Browser on iTouch save passwords? If so how?
    • There appears to be no compatible plug-in for Safari to view videos i.e. from BBC News Front Page, although will play BBC iPlayer without difficulty. Safari will not download necessary and appropriate plug- ins, it would appear.
    Am I correct in this assumption?
    • In Mail settings iTouch will not authenticate settings or password on NTL ISP outgoing server smtp.ntlworld.com to receive and send e-mail from NTL. ISP contacted and everything working correctly on same settings as on my PC running Windows XP and Outlook. Is there a compatibility issue here between Mac iTouch software and certain SMTP servers?
    NTL refuse to help as they do not support third party mobiles such as iTouch. Looked on Apple FAQs without success. Frustrating as it would be useful to be able to check my NTL default e-mail when away from home. Yahoo e-mail settings work with no problem.

All comments, help, advice etc very much appreciated as I am still getting to grips with this amazing device. Many thanks.

2. max1018 macrumors member

max1018

No, it won't.

At this moment in time, the iPod touch doesn't have flash support so BBC News videos (which are flash) will not play. The only reason iPlayer works is because it detects that you are on an iPhone/iPod Touch and provides a Quicktime of the show to watch.

As for the other question, I am not too sure.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is this problem on your own Wi-Fi, or someone else's? Some ISPs will only allow access to their SMTP server from one of their own connections.

You also mention using smtp.ntlworld.com to receive. I'm not familiar with NTL but that doesn't sound right, it's likely to be something like pop.ntlworld.com instead.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Actually, it does remember your password when you log in to a website. Once you log in, every time you visit the site, it logs you in automatically. You just have to make sure you have cookies enabled in Settings.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The browser doesn't save the password (ie. it has no password AutoFill), but the site itself might.

6. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

To use NTL email on the touch the Incoming Settings must have 'Use SSL' set to 'OFF'. When it is setting up it will take a long time so BE PATIENT.

Incoming mail server is pop.ntlworld.com
    Outgoing mail server is smtp.ntlworld.com

I have three NTL email addresses working on my touch.

7. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

I can access my NTL emails when using the BT wifi at work without any problems.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK. I don't know what NTL does so I thought I should mention it just in case. Also note that SMTP is only for sending, not receiving.

9. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

NTL (now Virgin Media) don't do a lot! Their Customer Service is really called 'Customer Lack of Service'.

I think the OP maybe hasn't put the correct setting in with regards to pop and smtp and it was best you pointed it out. I know when I set my three accounts up it was the 'Use SSL' setting which caused problems. Once I'd set it to 'Off' the accounts set up - albeit taking a long time.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've noticed here that adding email accounts takes a VERY long time. I wish Apple would fix that.

11. DavidS thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks to all of you who replied to my questions. Fortunately with lots of patience at last I have set up my NTL email account and so far working perfectly. Appreciate your time taken and I now enjoying this amazing machine, albeit with the obvious limitations.

12. bobclewley macrumors newbie

What did you do to get it working.... I am having similar problems

cheers

b