itouch stopped being able to connect to school network...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by evilgreg, Oct 16, 2007.

1. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

When I first got my iPod touch a few weeks ago I was able to walk around my entire campus and use the wifi anywhere I wanted with no problems, safari would take me to the school login page and it would be all good.

For some reason about a week ago however, every time I try to access the school wifi, safari tells me it can't load the page because it cannot find the server, even though I have a full signal from the wifi. Can anyone help?

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

maybe go to settings>Safari and clear all the cache , cookies and history data that may help ?

otherwise i have no idea :p

3. leckie macrumors member

I don't know about your campus but on mine we have to register our mac address and install a certificate.

4. PurpleShaman macrumors member

same here but how do u do it? i cant get mine to work

5. fdmendez macrumors member

Hey, i'm not sure what system your school uses to have you log in, but at my campus, Azusa Pacific University, when we open up the web browser, we have to log in with a username and password.

Every few days, I find that the network stops responding. I know it's working cause the network's working on my computers.

So what I do is renew the DHCP lease under network settings. That sometimes doesn't work, so I turn off the iPod entirely (hold down sleep button until it asks me to slide it to shut it down). Then turn it on again. At that point, it usually connects fine again.

You could ask your networking department to register your iPod's MAC address, which is what we have to do in order to get Xbox 360s online. That could easily solve any networking issues if they do it for you.

6. solyd macrumors regular

I would browse around the school's wireless website and see if there's anything you need to do. My campus has two networks, one for the dorms and one for the rest of the campus.

The dorm network requires registration, but obviously the iPod can't download certificates and run registration scripts. For me, there was a website where I can enter my iPod's MAC address to register. So you might have the same thing.

The rest of the campus has a different network where login is required.

Also, it could be a problem with your school's network. I had a problem last night. My roommate and his girlfriend's laptops wouldn't connect to the network because it failed to assign ip addresses. But my computer and iPod was able to connect fine. Try manually entering an IP address and DNS servers.

7. beloved84 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

at sdsu u can access in the library. Other places such as classrooms and walkways will give full bar but but no connection.