iTouch stuck in DFU

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TrackZero, May 14, 2008.

1. TrackZero macrumors newbie

So, I was running a 8GB iTouch version 1.1.2 just fine for months. Used Ziphone to try to jailbreak, everything was going well, it had the cable -> iTunes logo going. Said it was preparing, and ended up sitting there forever.

So, I reboot and now I'm stuck with the:

BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0

Looping over and over again.

I've done the whole hold sleep+home for 7 seconds, screen goes black, wait 2 more, release the sleep button. Once that's done, I can check in ziphone and it confirms I'm in DFU mode.

I go into iTunes, it detects (not all the time, but 50% of the time when I try this) just fine. If I try to hold SHIFT-hit restore and pick a firmware (I've tried both 1.1.2 and 1.1.4), it always gets through the "preparing" part and again loses response and times out. If I try to let it do the recover/upgrade in iTunes without holding shift, it seems to get a little further in the preparation but then the screen goes white and it just times out again.

If, while in "white screen" mode I go back into Ziphone, it tries "sending dfu.dat" but never gets anywhere. And I end up having to reboot by holding sleep+home for 15 seconds or so, apple logo comes back up, and it goes back to the whole issue from the start of "BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0".

I feel like I'm running in circles here. I've also tried the newest Liberty+, and it just leaves the "Go for it!" greyed out, and blinks black/red "DFU mode" in the bottom right corner.

I've read that it seems I may need to flash the NVRAM, however Ziphone 3 is supposed to do that automatically. And I can't find a copy of 2.6b anywhere on the net.

*sigh*, please if anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong on this. It'd be very very appreciated as I'm at my wits end on what I'm doing wrong.

Edit: I've now confirmed when I'm in "white screen" mode that iTunes can get me to, that it's recovery mode (per Liberty+), now I just need to know where to go from here.

Edit Edit: Fantastic! I used iLiberty+, hit "Jailbreak" even though it was in Recovery mode, it said something about attempting to force a boot. I then made the screen dark again (but backlit). It timed out and I still couldn't force it out of recovery mode, so I went back into iTunes. This time however, it was finally able to fully repair/recover the firmware and upgrade it. My iPod is now back and working standard with version 1.1.4. Now I'll try breaking it again, (the issue in the first place is I tried to break it with 1.1.2 instead of upgrading the firmware first).

Edit Edit Edit: And happy ending for me. With version 1.1.4, ziphone managed to work (even though it hung at waiting for recovery mode, where I just stopped the app and hit the jailbreak button again, from there it was smooth sailing). Guess we can chalk this up to a happy ending. Whew. Even though I didn't get any responses in time, I like to think I would have had a bunch of helpful tips tomorrow. ;)

Weird why all this time it seemed my "recovery" mode was causing all the issues.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it wasn't the recovery mode that was the problem it was the infamous ziphone nvram problem. all you would of needed to do was find a download link to ziphone 2.6b theres an option there for nvarm fix.

Glad to hear it worked out well in the end

3. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

i was unaware logitech keyboards could go into DFU mode.

did you try the force into restore mode method? it should lead you to this screen

[​IMG]

4. francocisco99 macrumors newbie

guys hi im new here so i hope i make myself clear hahha so everyone can understand me

1 i try jailbreak my ipod touch again
    2 while doing tht by mistake i closed itunes
    3 then my ipod got stuck on the installing apps screen with the zorro but in the computer it wasn stuck
    4 i disconnected the ipod
    5 now it comes on and it does the whole jailbreak proccessss u knw the writin moves and goes on and it says like want to finish boot ? exit and then it keeps goin to the installin apps screen and it doesn move from there what can i do pls help

help
    thnks

5. francocisco99 macrumors newbie

Ipod touch problems pls help

guys hi im new here so i hope i make myself clear hahha so everyone can understand me

1 i try jailbreak my ipod touch again
    2 while doing tht by mistake i closed itunes
    3 then my ipod got stuck on the installing apps screen with the zorro but in the computer it wasn stuck
    4 i disconnected the ipod
    5 now it comes on and it does the whole jailbreak proccessss u knw the writin moves and goes on and it says like want to finish boot ? exit and then it keeps goin to the installin apps screen and it doesn move from there what can i do pls help
    wat can i do guys id on mind takin it to apple but i don knw how m uch it could cost

and wat things can i get for ipod nano !!!!!!
    help
    thnks[/QUOTE]

6. boyreinvented macrumors member