iTouch - wait or buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KDH, Jun 17, 2009.

1. KDH macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am thinking about getting an iTouch for my daughter for her birthday. The iPhone 3GS is due today. Does anyone recall how long after the iPhone 3G that the iTouch was updated? Any guesses as to when the iTouch will get its next update (new processor, etc)?

Thanks,

KDH

2. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Apple's iPod line is typically updated after the Back to School (BTS) promotion gets over. That would be September.

This is a good time to get an iPod if you are participating in BTS. (Need to be eligible and buy a Mac to get a rebate for the iPod.) Otherwise, I would wait till ~mid-September.

SS

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

4. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

1. I am not sure when Apple will update all their iPods for that matter. Only Apple knows. But if you need this device soon, the current iPod Touch is equivelent to the now, old iPhone 3G. The iPhone 3G is now $99, and the iPod Touch 8GB is still $230. I would save some money and buy an old iPhone 3G from an Apple Store.

2. Not trying to be mean but it is an iPod Touch. I want to hurt someone when I hear them say or see them type, iTouch. "I touch" myself too but I don't need to hear about it from someone else, lol.

5. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

What's an 'iTouch'???? Never heard of it ... perhaps you're referring to the iPod touch. :cool:

An updated model should be out by Fall.

6. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

Sorry, Apple doesnt make an "iTouch"

But, the iPod line is usually updated in September, like everyone else has said.

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

For the love of god, who cares if he calls the iPod Touch the iTouch, almost everyone I know who owns one calls it that. Lay off...

8. St Soichiro macrumors regular

9. Nasty Roo macrumors member

Though I don't recall ever calling it an iTouch, why are people so anal about not calling it that?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because that isn't what it's called? At all?

I don't call a car a van. I don't call a MacBook Pro a Mac Pro. I don't call a HDTV an HDTV; I say the resolution.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

Because that's not what the name of it is. Just because you are OK with everyone you know calling it by the wrong name doesn't mean that everyone else is. If Apple wanted to name it the iTouch they would have named it that instead of the iPod Touch.

[EDIT]
    Damn you Tallest Skil, you beat me to it. As long as the point was made all is well.

12. mrj205 macrumors regular

It is unlikely that the iPod Touch will be updated between now and the end of the back to school promotion. The iPhone and iPod Touch don't per say follow the same hardware update schedule. The new OS just released today. I suspect that the capacity and/or "speed" will be bumped in the next update. Get it whenever, unless her birthday is after September...;)

13. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

If I were you I'd definitely wait until September or October at the latest when they updated the iPod Touch line.

14. Nasty Roo macrumors member

I understand that, but regardless you still knew what he meant. It'd be hard to confuse it with anything else. Does that justify it being called that? No, but just like people call the wii remote a wiimote, it's a perfectly acceptable slang for the device, IMO.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Clearly this forum doesn't accept it as being "perfectly acceptable." The reason why, is because most people that use the phrase iTouch are people that are not Mac users. When iThink about the people who use that phrase,I get reminded of a**hole high school sophomores.

16. Nasty Roo macrumors member

Haha sounds like someone has some unresolved issues from their past.... ;)

You're right, I'm sure the majority of people who would call the device an iTouch are oblivious when it comes to Mac products, but I really don't think it's something to call someone out on. He came on here to receive advice, not be chastised for having misspoken. Like I said before, everyone obviously knew what he meant, and I think it's forgivable to want to lump "iPod" and "Touch" together.

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't know where my unresolved issues are? But, I was more commenting on your idea that it was "perfectly fine" at least not here. I do think that in the process of "chastising" the OP, the question was repeatedly answered.

18. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

All right, people. Points received all around. Let's take a deep breath and get over ourselves.

OP, I think your question has been answered. If you can, wait until around September, as that is usually when new iPods are introduced.

19. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

OK, out of 16 responses to the OP, 13 had to mention the "correct" name? What is it, just because someone's posted here less than you, you feel it's acceptable to beat the point to death? After the first "correction," I think the point was sufficiently made. After that, you're just piling on and being churlish. Annoyingly pedantic, and quite the way to welcome a newer member into the fold. Congratulations to you all.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The same could be made to the numerous people who all said that the iPod Touch being updated in the fall. I agree that it is excessive, but I don't think it is because someone is "new" here, it's because people feel strongly about it. I find it annoying?, my comment was more in regards to the fact that it is "not a big deal here" clearly it was, as I recall xUKHCx had a fairly good thread on this a while back.

21. jmir8-8- macrumors newbie

Yes, xUKHCx's point seemed to be that endless corrections on the topic identified one as a prat.

22. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

That $99 price is with a 2 year contract. And I wouldn't necessarily call it an "old iPhone 3G", as I'm fairly certain they'll continue to manufacture and sell them. (I couldn't imagine them mentioning the price cut in the keynote if they weren't keeping it around for a while)