itouch warrenty questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cityfear, Dec 6, 2008.

1. cityfear macrumors newbie

here is my situation, i got a itouch 1st gen. it comes with the 1.1.4 firmware, then i download the 2.0 firmware from the internet(not app store). and it works fine, i even got the 2.2 firmware update from itunes, but im wondering if i have void the warranty..... :confused:
    and is my action consider jailbreaking?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Listen to this: Voiding the warrantee... by doing a software update.

Think about it.

Oh, you didn't pay for it. That's a good question. You should pay for it.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Many people have done that (downloaded 2.0 from places other than iTunes), but there doesn't seem to be any negative consequences, you should be fine as long it is an official build from Apple.
    It isn't considered jailbreaking because ultimately it IS the software that's intended to be used on the iPod.

4. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Yes but the fact of the matter is that he didn't PAY for it, which is illegal. (it's ok i did that too... who likes paying?)

If you're worried you can always restore back to 1.1.4 if you're taking it for something.

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I don't think they have a way of telling if you have paid for it or not, especially if you have upgraded to 2.2.
    Just make sure you don't jailbreak if you're worried about voiding the warranty.

6. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

If you jailbreak it, you will loose the warranty, you must virginize the itouch so apple wont realize it