iTouch web capabilities

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by teehee, Sep 27, 2007.

1. teehee macrumors newbie

hi, new enthusiast here with some questions about the iTouch's (as i will call it) internet capabilities, as well as the 3rd party app options. i don't currently own one, but i'm toying with the idea of buying an iTouch, and a major problem would be the lack of webmail. i know the iTouch does not have a webmail application as such, but i don't use one anyway. wouldn't i be able to visit Gmail and the like, and use those email accounts just fine? also, is this device generally compatible with websites that work on "real" browsers? i visit a few forums, Rate Your Music, news sites, etc. would these types of things work well with its browser?

secondly, its 3rd party applications. i know there are none now, but my question is where would i go to learn more about that? is it ok to discuss them here? if i buy one of these, i'd want the ability for "expansion". as it stands it seems like the reviews are fairly lackluster for the device, though its internet capabilities could be its saving grace as far as i'm concerned. anyway, any info on the device's prospects would be helpful as i've lately been seriously considering either a Classic or an iTouch.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

First of all, don't call it the "iTouch." It sounds dumb... call it by its real name, "iPod Touch." Thanks

Yeah, you can use gmail through the browser. Basic HTML runs just a bit faster, so it is fully usable.

Apple bricked the third-party apps on the iPhone today. I wouldn't count on them being able to work through updates.

3. Corsairkid macrumors member

I access my comcast webmail very easily through the touch. Works great.

4. teehee thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm. so no prospects for a Skype cracked touch?

also, can it download and run/display files or attachment files (from emails) that it could already read? like, photos, etc?