itouch will only play background music

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shlyn21, Mar 3, 2010.

1. shlyn21 macrumors newbie

hey.. so my sister's ipod touch will only play the background music when her headphones are plugged in. (im the one posting this because she in technologically incompetent.. but apparently so am i haha) anyway when you use her headphones its as if your at a concert where the lead singers microphone has been turned off. you can hear all background music and back up singers but can barely hear the main singer.... its strange and ive tried switching ear phones, cleaning the jack, and restoring the ipod but none of it seems to work. i got it for her in august of 08 is the warrant is up and i'd love to avoid buying a new one. any help is appreciate. thanks!

2. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Try another set of headphones?

My guess is that either the plug on the iPod is damaged or the plug itself on
    the headphones is damaged.

Do you have another set of Apple headphones you can try?

Or, can you take it to an Apple store and see if they can determine what the
    problem is?

3. shlyn21 thread starter macrumors newbie

different apple headphones didnt work. i'll try taking it to the store. thank you!

4. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

The sound you describe is produced when the headphones tip are not completely "in" the plug. This could be due to an incomplete insertion (highly unlikely since it is easily fixed) or due to the plug being broken and inserted deeper than it should be. You definitely need to take it to the store.

5. NP3 macrumors regular

I assume you checked that the equalizer is off? (Settings > iPod > EQ) Doing a restore would probably still keep that setting.

6. GenghisKahn macrumors newbie

If i bought it from radioshack will taking it to the apple store be ok?

7. Koronis macrumors member

Koronis

Sounds like the headphone plug is damaged or isn't inserted all the way.

Try to look into the headphone jack and see if something is lodged at the bottom that would keep the plug from going all the way in. I have seen bits of lint stop my iPhone headphones from working properly.