Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Any iTrail users? I'm a runner and this looks like a great little App for $3.00. About to do a 10 mile run so I'm going to give it a shot and see how it (and me) preforms. Will post back my impressions and statistics later today.

tasandkrs

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I tried it while driving and the speed was not accurate. It was jumping all over the place from 8 mph to 130 mph while I was driving about 60 mph. The map plotter was pretty cool though.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
First I had a couple of technical problems unrelated to iTrail. I have a Fuel Belt that has a small pouch on it. My original iPhone snugly fit in it. However the 3G would not “stuff” all the way in. So I spent several minuets working on getting it in while iTrail was running (and I wasn’t). Then I stopped to check it after 1 mile and the flap came open so I got realty serious about stuffing it in. I still had to slow down and check ever mile.

Also (according to the instructions) you must keep the iPhone on never lock (not sure about other Apps but Pandora will continue in lock mode). I was also using as an iPod so was a little concerned about battery life but it made through.

Well over all iTrail works. Would like to see a timer (it seems to only show the time the Trail name was created and not when you actually start). For some reason the map shows from my house (as the crow flies) to where I stared running even though it wasn't running. I did create the trail at my house. At the start the altitude and speed had a couple of of spikes. Also I’m not sure if it could be done but an auto pause would be nice. When you stop moving for so many seconds (5 ,maybe) to pause and then auto resume when you start moving agin. I had to stop for 6 red lights and a restroom break and would like to have that time netted out with an auto pause feature. It could use a little polish and a few options features but for the first version and for only $3 it’s a must buy for any runner, hiker, biker and walker.

IMG_0003.PNG
IMG_0004.PNG

IMG_0005.PNG
IMG_0007.PNG
IMG_0006.PNG

obliterations

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
First I had a couple of technical problems unrelated to iTrail. I have a Fuel Belt that has a small pouch on it. My original iPhone snugly fit in it. However the 3G would not “stuff” all the way in. So I spent several minuets working on getting it in while iTrail was running (and I wasn’t). Then I stopped to check it after 1 mile and the flap came open so I got realty serious about stuffing it in. I still had to slow down and check ever mile.

Also (according to the instructions) you must keep the iPhone on never lock (not sure about other Apps but Pandora will continue in lock mode). I was also using as an iPod so was a little concerned about battery life but it made through.

Well over all iTrail works. Would like to see a timer (it seems to only show the time the Trail name was created and not when you actually start). For some reason the map shows from my house (as the crow flies) to where I stared running even though it wasn't running. I did create the trail at my house. At the start the altitude and speed had a couple of of spikes. Also I’m not sure if it could be done but an auto pause would be nice. When you stop moving for so many seconds (5 ,maybe) to pause and then auto resume when you start moving agin. I had to stop for 6 red lights and a restroom break and would like to have that time netted out with an auto pause feature. It could use a little polish and a few options features but for the first version and for only $3 it’s a must buy for any runner, hiker, biker and walker.

IMG_0003.PNG
IMG_0004.PNG

IMG_0005.PNG
IMG_0007.PNG
IMG_0006.PNG

Just a simple question... How do you do a screen capture on the iPhone???
Also this app looks great, I do a lot of bike riding and am looking forward to trying it out. They say the next version will be better, but I was wondering if there was another app that did alomost the same thing?

TIA

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Just a simple question... How do you do a screen capture on the iPhone???...

TIA

You need 2 mirrors, place one in front of the back of the iPhone :confused: (say what) and the other in back of the front facing each other. You must line them up carefully in order not to get the back of the iPhone in the shot.

.....or you can just hold down the on/off button and press the Home key.:D

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You need 2 mirrors, place one in front of the back of the iPhone :confused: (say what) and the other in back of the front facing each other. You must line them up carefully in order not to get the back of the iPhone in the shot.

LMAO! Thanks for the laugh, you had me going there for a moment! :D

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Just for the heck of it and for Google map lovers here is my Saturday 10 Mile run and Sunday 5.5 Mile (hilly) run. I guess others can see this.:eek:

Edit: Had link on 5.5 mile run wrong.

BikeRanger

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
use it daily

I'm a cyclist using iTrail to check out different commute routes, map mountain biking, and record centuries for off-the-bike bragging. The latest update improved this app tremendously and the price is reasonable.

powpow

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2004
I'm a cyclist using iTrail to check out different commute routes, map mountain biking, and record centuries for off-the-bike bragging. The latest update improved this app tremendously and the price is reasonable.

I'm a cyclist too and I'm wondering how the this app work when you go in and out of service areas. Do the overall stats seem accurate? Thanks.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm a cyclist too and I'm wondering how the this app work when you go in and out of service areas. Do the overall stats seem accurate? Thanks.

I don't see where it would matter if you don't have phone service since it use GPS to record coordinates. I think you only need phone service to draw Google Maps. Todays update added an event timer which is useful.

Segmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2004
I've been using it for mountain bike riding and its been buggy. I think it may be because of the Ipod and/or receiving email notifications or txt during the gps use but whatever the case I do get some pretty strange spikes (212mph was my fav). I also have some issues where it simply does not record my trail. It looks like it is recording but at the end it will say not enough points or it will crash the app. And the interface could use a serious clean up. I am continuing to test different settings on my drive to work and other around town trips so I am some better results but still about 1 in 5 trips gets lost.
BUT
When it works its really amazing. Its got great potential... and I am hoping the next update fixes the bugs. It never locks up my phone so at worst all that goes wrong is losing the trail its recording. And I didn't notice too much increase on battery drain. Right now this is my fave app to play with and the part where it exports to google docs is really cool.

And honestly for the price how can you beat it? This app will no doubt only continue to get better so I am loving the new features they just added (timers now have pauses) in the last update.

Now all I need is a KML to EPS converter and Im good to go.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The developer said version 1.04 is at Apple now and he is working on 1.5. One of the big problems is having the timer separate from the GPS recording data. This makes the interface messy and leads to not starting the recording when you think you have. This should be corrected in 1.5.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I use it and GPS Kit depending on what I am doing. Each is better than the other at some things, and I am happy with both! These apps are in their infancy, and I cannot wait to see what is in store for later versions of both!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.