It's 2010, thoughts on retrofitting a slimline bluray drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Accel Junky, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Accel Junky macrumors newbie

I did a little reading and saw the really expensive superdrive that was available (like $999) a couple years back for Macbook's.

Flash forward a couple of years and I'm wondering what possibilities there are now. I currently have an extra magsafe adapter, 2TB external drive and an external 5.25" bluray drive in my entertainment center. I just "dock" my 2010 MBP and boot into Win7 to playback and rip blurays (I do not pirate, basically I rent bluray by mail one-at-a-time and then rip immediately so that I can mail it back and get the next one. I then watch at my convenience and delete the ISO afterwards.)

I was thinking, it sure would be nice to replace the MBP HDD with a 1TB 2.5" and then replace the optical drive with a slim bluray slot load. I've seen a few SATA slim 12.7mm slotloads from Panasonic and Sony, but I don't know what the possibility is that they will fit or whether OSX will be able to recognize at least the DVD capability. Win7 in bootcamp would not be a problem I'd think for the bluray portion. Anyways, this would make my MBP still serve as my mediapc but without all of the external stuff.

Thoughts?

2. gorjan macrumors 6502

As far as I know there shouldn't be any problems reading BD in OS X. You just can't watch movies as OS X doesn't have HDCP built in. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is Jobs' "bag of hurt" of BD licensing.)

3. Accel Junky thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, aside from a sata slim slot load thin enough, this was my other big worry. Just wanted to make sure that OSX could use the DVD/CD capabilities of the drive. Then again, I guess driver's would be a concern unless OSX has some sort of basic drivers it could utilize?

4. jlc1978, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

You can watch BD on a Mac but it requires some contortions using software to either rip the BD or stream the file and playing via VLC.