All iPads It's a bad time to buy ANY iPad! (Thoughts)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Defender2010, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Many people here seem split in their decision on whether to buy an iPad Mini or 4th Gen iPad. I think the reason for this could be influenced by that fact that the current 4th Gen is still just a stopgap until a redesigned 5th model next year. Same old shell as usual! It's still as heavy and awkward as the 3rd Gen. The iPad Mini whilst being "new" and having a new form factor lacks a good screen and processor, so in 4/5 months it will start to show its age already. Hopefully next years lineup will include a smaller lighter full size ipad (perhaps using the Mini form factor) and the Mini will have A6 plus a retina display. This should level out the obvious Pros and Cons to each device now...point being, there are plus and minus points to both of the current devices, but nothing definitive that would help you choose one over another:
    Mini: great form factor, light, new design - thin bezel, stero speakers - BUT old chip, non retina,
    iPad: Retina, speed - BUT too heavy, too thick, one speaker, same design - bezel still too thick

It's a shame we can have two equally matched products both with good points that are the same. Guess this is what having to wait on technology to match ideas feels like. Next year it would be nice for consumers to have the same product but different size to make the buying process simpler. Ie. 9.7inch iPad and iPad Mini look the same apart from screen size, A6X in one, A6 in the other. Both retina display.

2. Powrie macrumors 6502

Yea those are the reasons iam waiting on a tablet right now.

Also I want to see how things pan out with these new tablets running windows 8

3. yegon macrumors 68020

I agree, although Im getting a mini now and will replace it with a retina the moment it's available. The jury's out as to whether I'm going to sell my 3rd gen, probably will. Never been less inclined to buy a 4th gen though, I've no doubt it's a speed demon and if you game a lot you'll probably see the benefit, but for my usage it does nothing I want. Plus, the 5th gen is nailed on to be the mini design, lighter thinner and same/better performance.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

If the Mini goes Retina, I wouldn't get one until they added the A6X.

5. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I'm waiting for the next spec bump before I upgrade again, in other words I'll be waiting two years most likely unless they are going to do two cycles on the iPad.

Unless Apple (re)innovates adding some 'must have' feature.

6. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I'm not with this idea of not buying because the technology will be much better a little way down the road.

Technology will always be better as time goes on....wait until next year when the iPad mini has retina and the A6X if you want but by then the iPad will have "Super Retina" and an "A7X" chip and oh would this be a silly time to buy the iPad mini becuase next year it will be so much better?.....

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

In my opinion, the technology is here for the iPad Mini, but Apple isn't taking advantage of it.

It is the same thing with the Touch, which always seems to be about a year behind the curve with its componentry.

The iPad, though seems to be pushing the edge of the envelope. Yes, it is heavier than I would like, and its speakers aren't so great, but it is still competitive with the Google Nexus 10 (the best Android tablet out there).

If you wait, all three will improve, of course, but I don't really see the point. If you need it now, get it. If you don't then wait. That is the same advice you'll see for just about any Apple product.

The exceptions would be things that appear to be floundering like the Apple Pro. That thing is years behind the curve, and in desperate need of an update, so even if you need one, I'd put off a purchase. I don't understand what Apple is doing, but if the past is any predictor of future events, you'd be better off switching to Windows, because Apple doesn't seem to care too much about supporting this product line, and you are unlikely to enjoy many updates in the future.

8. 725032 Guest

No such thing as a must have feature on an item such as an ipad

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Let me put on my Great Carnac turban:

I predict Apple will release a retina mini next year amid great fanfare. The Apple Apologists will quickly state how it wasn't possible to do this on the first generation, and stand in line shortly before or after selling their first gens for a loss. Magically, it will also have more RAM as well.:rolleyes:

Love it or hate it, it's how the game is played. Go in with the lowest specs you can get away with at first so you can drastically upgrade them on the 2nd release.

OTOH, the iPad 4 is a hardware update introducing performance enhancements that I suspect that none but the biggest power users would appreciate. Unless you're currently saying, "OMG, this crucial app is so sssssllllloooooowwww!", "I really need a better camera for all of the facetime/skype calls to grandma." or "It's such a PITA to have separate connectors for my iPhone 5 and my iPad!" you can probably sit this one out.

You almost have to feel sorry for Apple. Despite already selling millions of tablets they're going to have to sell the same amount or more, every year, presumably to mostly the same people, or their stock price will take a hit.

And you definitely have to pity Tim Cook. No one but Steve Jobs can take the stage and triumphantly announce that "We've upgraded the G4 in the powerbook from 1.25 to 1.5 ghz!" without catcalls, boos, and rolled eyes. Like the master showman himself, those days are long gone.

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

11. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

I'm not reading it. But no it's not, if I want it now; ill get it now.

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

This. Technology is constantly moving. There's no point of waiting for the next best thing.

13. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Unless you live in an area where LTE was not previously supported

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Good catch. That would be a biggie.

15. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Frm that perspective, it's a bad idea buying any piece of tech.
    I think one should buy a product only if really interested, and then just forget about newer models until a replacement is needed. GAS doesn't make any sense.

16. Defender2010 thread starter macrumors 68030

Defender2010

My comments are based on "now". I didn't state anyone should wait, just making a comment. Plus, my claims are realistic, "Super Retina" is not...

17. Liquinn Suspended

True, won't be upgrading my iPad 4 in quite some time.

18. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

How about when the 5 comes out, thinner, lighter and faster?

19. urkel macrumors 68030

Its the holidays and if buying someone an iPad makes a loved one jump for joy in happiness then it would seem that now is a GOOD time to buy any iPad.

20. hyteckit Guest

I want an iPad with a 10" rollable retina lcd screen that weighs under 0.7 lb and fits in my pocket.

21. mantan macrumors 68000

Excellent post. The idea is moving units right now. If Apple blew their wad with a mini Retina this year...what could they sell us for next year?

Diehard Apple apologists who know the specs are weak will buy it anyway and happily pay Apple again next year for the retina version. A lot of casual buyers won't get caught up in Retina and just think it's a neat form factor from Apple and buy it anyway.

And the iPad Mini 2 will undoubtedly be the quantum leap it was from the original to the iPad 2 and be released to great fanfare next year.

And you're right, Apple has a bit of a self created monster with sales expectations. The iPhone seems to take care of itself. Though I'd submit the smartphone market has matured and it's getting harder and harder to push the envelope. (I mean how much better can cameras get. And LTE is arguably as fast as anybody needs...the killer features may have to be on the software side of things...but that doesn't sell new units.)

But getting people to buy tablets every year is a taller order. But putting out a Mini lite this year and true iPad Mini next year will cover the next 18 months.

22. zhandri macrumors 6502

i think apple should publicly confirm that there will be no new ipad in march or april because otherwise sales will be really bad.

23. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Does anyone know if Apple will be offering any Black Friday specials on the iPad Mini? That's pretty much the only way I could justify picking up one of these.

24. jigzaw macrumors 6502

THIS!!! I would have pre-ordered the iPad 4 on day one had they made that statement, but I'm hesitating on buying to see if any rumors of a Spring iPad 5 start popping up.

I know all the reasons a Spring release is unlikely, especially because that would give the 4th gen iPad basically a 4-month lifespan.. which just seems crazy. BUT, what's causing me to be unsure is that there is NO publicity at all for this "fourth generation". I've seen plenty of billboards and ads for the Mini, but none whatsoever touting a new generation of iPad. Most of my friends didn't even know there was an update to the larger iPad coming out. That makes me think Apple may have a major update up its sleeve for Spring.

...on the other hand, I haven't been seeing any publicity for the new iMac or Mac Mini, either. So maybe the iPad has reached that level of maturity and isn't going to be splashed all over billboards anymore.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Same old tired reason always given as an excuse for not buying something. I don't understand why the people espousing this logic don't understand that something better is always around the corner. Even before the iPhone 5 was in the stores Apple was already thinking ahead to the iPhone 6. Intel has a processor road map that goes out a couple years.