It's a question of size....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Davidb67, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Davidb67 macrumors newbie

OK so I have already put my flame-resistant gloves on, in defence against the "search" repostes....

I'd decided to move to Mac OS earlier this year, after long-admiring the whole deal. With the launch of the new unibody MB & MBP, now is the time for me to buy a machine. The problem is I can't make my mind up between MacBook 2.4, or MacBook Pro. I won't be using the machine for any hugely intensive apps, and I don't play games. As either of the above choices would be my PRIMARY home computer, and I don't plan on buying an external screen, my main concern comes down to screen-size.
    I have a 14" laptop PC from work, but only travel around once or twice every 2~3 weeks. The portability-factor of the smaller 13.3" MB screen doesn't initially appear to be that much of a plus for me (as it will very rarely leave the house), although I can't help but feel I don't really NEED to lay out for the extra grunt of the MBP and larger HDD etc (don't store movies/videos on the computer and all my music is on an external HDD & iPod). Before anyone say - "ah yes, but you only get firewire with the MBP", i've never owned any device with firewire, USB2 has been adequate for my needs.

I know there's the (strong) argument of buy the best you can to give some degree of "future-proofing" and offset the need to upgrade further down the line, but it really does seem that apart from the smaller screen, a 2.4 MB would be fine for me. I've spent a couple of months trawling through similar comments & threads on this site, and understand the key benefits/drawbacks of both machines & the similar self-arguments many have gone through to arrive at their decision, but I still can't make my mind up if I'd be completely "happy" with the smaller screen of the MB. Oh, and yes, I've seen both in the metal at an Apple Store. Still didn't help!

comments appreciated.

2. rtmadden macrumors regular

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i'm using a black macbook with the 13.3" screen as my primary computer, and it's fine. (especially using spaces.)

if i were doing photography/video work, then i'd probably want more screen real-estate, but for web surfing/development, email etc it's fine.

4. Davidb67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Never feel comfortable sitting at a desk at home. Used to have a tower PC and flat-screen monitor, but just use (work) laptop PC now in kitchen, sitting on sofa etc. If i DID feel the desire to hook up to something larger, I have a 42" TV, but can't see the need - as I said earlier, don't use the machine for gaming or movies - have games console and decent DVD & surround for those....

I keep thinking that SHOULD be fine with the 13.3" of the regular MB, which would save a few hundred quid (UK) too.

5. rtmadden macrumors regular

It certainly sounds like you'll be using your new Apple for casual applications rather than pro level apps. The MB should be perfect for your needs.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

For what you're using it for, and how often you use it, you'd be fine with either a new MB or a previous generation MBP for roughly the same price.

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Buy the MB Pro. It's what you really want. If you go with the regular MB - even though it'll work perfectly for you - you'll be kicking yourself six months from now.

8. weekend warrior macrumors member

thats always my problem. :p

It certainly seems like from your post that the macbook is the better fit. The macbook is as "future proof" as the MBP, and it essentially IS a 13" MBP (that's why people call it the macbook pro mini.) And you'll probably enjoy the 13" more when lounging around and moving from the kitchen to couch.

Go to the apple store again if you need to. Imagine what each one will fell like at home.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I used a 13" BlackBook for a year with no external, doing the same things you'll be doing, and it was absolutely fine. I have an external now for when I'm at my desk (I work with Excel, and Excel on the small screen was not very much fun), but I still use the notebook on its own quite a bit.

There's a desktop in the next room with a nice, big screen... but I'm sitting in bed on the laptop instead. The screen size is more than sufficient. :)