It's a race! (New MBP Memory Question)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akindy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. akindy macrumors member

akindy

First person who can tell me if they upgraded the memory controller in the new MBP's to allow the use of 800MHz RAM wins!
    No guessing, you've gotta be sure. If they have then I have found my new front end for mobile/portable recording. If not, then I'm still getting it, but will hate myself when the 'next' MBP's take 800MHz... isn't that how it always goes? :(

2. bbeers macrumors regular

bbeers

3. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

Is the memory located in the New MBP was in previous MBP? I want to buy Mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory. Anyone have any reason why it wouldn't be compatible with the new MBP?

Thanks
    Joe

4. akindy thread starter macrumors member

akindy

Ok, then I hate to bring it up again, but did anyone buy Cas 4 ram and notice a difference? Anyone know that the ram Apple puts in there is in fact Cas 5?

5. LVdustin macrumors regular

I recently purchased 4 gigs of RAM for my MBP from Crucial for only a hundred dollars. I have to admit, that i prefer Crucial RAM as opposed to Apple's RAM..not for the price, but all together performance

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The new chip has no control over the memory speeds supported. That's up to the chipset, which is still Santa Rosa, and since it's still Santa Rosa, it's still FSB 800 with 667 memory support.

Montevina will support 1066 FSB with 800 DDR 3.

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Won't make a ****all bit of difference... The RAM timings are set by the SPD and that is that. YOu can buy CAS 1 but it will run at whatever speed SPD of the machine sets it at.

8. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

1GB DDR2-667 dimms have CL=4
    2GB DDR2-667 dimms have CL=5

I got Geil brand ram for my MacBook Pro.