It's a shame for that kind of developers!!!! Uninstall CLIPS app ASAP

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by DJTaurus, Nov 9, 2014.

1. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Waste of money and shameless developers. Who they think they are ;;;

Can you suggest an alternative app to clips ???

Attached Files:

2. jpu macrumors member

jpu

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Might be worth looking into what that's actually used for as it often isn't what most people think it might be.

5. DJTaurus, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

DJTaurus thread starter macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

The problem is that they dont let you to use it if you wont give them Full access. You cant use copy from keyboard.

6. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Apple's description of what is actually granted by this box is not entirely accurate. All this box is letting clips do is communicate and share information between the keyboard process and the main application (I.e., the Icon you see on your home screen.) The keyboard process itself is severely constrained when it comes to Storage, memory usage, etc. while this does technically mean Clips could communicate your clips over the Internet if it wanted, it doesn't necessarily mean it's doing that at all. It could just be storing them all locally so it can share them between applications. In other words, exactly what it's intended to do.

It's a silly thing to get upset about. Do you use any third-party apps at all? Any application you use has the ability to intercept what you're typing and transmit it over the Internet if it wants to. So, every time you use any application not made by Apple you're trusting that developer to keep anything you type safe. Keyboards are no different in this regard.

7. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

You shouldn't be upset about this most third party keyboard require this. You might as well just not even use any third party apps.

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

An honest developer who simply made an app to help him copy bible verses more easily.

Their stance on privacy can be read here

http://www.cleanshavenapps.com/clips/

If you don't like it, then don't use it.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Swiftly wants the same access but its for their cloud sync.

Swype doesn't request this access at all.

10. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Well, Swype's tutorial indicates you need to turn on full access in settings, which is a bit disingenuous to me. But it does work just fine if you don't.

While most devs are *probably* only using collected data to improve their products, in this day and age, I have no issue with anyone being reluctant to just hand over their right to privacy.

11. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

It only means that the keyboard can talk to the app, it has little to do with the internet. This message is fairly alarmist by Apple IMO.

I don't disagree, but just don't complain about it. The Keyboard API is crazy restrictive and for most advanced functions they are going to need full access. Anything more than simply a keyboard is going to need full access.

12. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

So Apple allows a way for developers to send back data so that the keyboards can "learn" from your way of typing and favorite words which cannot be done offline on the phone ... and we end up blaming the devs because Apple decided to put a flashy ridiculously worded warning for it ? :rolleyes:

13. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

This doesn't even have anything to do with that. The vast majority of them aren't even going to the internet at all. Full Access allows them to get back to the app binary. Could the app upload that info? Yes it could. Does it mean that because it has full access means that it is using any network connection at all? Absolutely not.

14. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

I have deleted all 3d party keyboards I tried for the fun of it and now my keyboard shortcuts sync between devices ... Odd but true ;-)

Try Heapo , it's a great alternative to Clips .

15. H3boy macrumors regular

H3boy

Every keyboard I have downloaded has given this pop-up. It's nothing special and was even mentioned in the iOS 8 keynote.

16. macduke Suspended

macduke

LOL, looks like the OP hasn't used any keyboard apps on the App Store besides this.

17. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Why are you so shocked? #1 reason why Apple took this long to allow 3rd party keyboards in their ecosystem. The Fanriods will never understand.

At least that dev is being honest and straight forward.

Welcome to the world of Android, no matter what the defence is, keystrokes should never be transmitted.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/26/security-advisory-a-i-type-keyboard-sends-all-your-keystrokes-to-their-servers-in-plain-text-sometimes-you-cant-trust-the-cloud/

18. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

It seems not indeed. It would also be good if the OP would check the general 3rd party keyboard topic here and read some more on 'full access' and all keyboards which are out there. Some ask for the full access others don't it depends on the features (e.g. sound for key pressing).