It's about time that Apple embraces Themes!

iPad 2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
It's about time that Apple embraces themes...

iOS is perfect the way it is. It's extremely functional, fast, neat, well organized and intuitive.

Nevertheles, people have been using iPhones for the past five years. They're starting to get sick of staring at essentially the same damn home screen for 5 years now, any UI after that length of time starts to feel boring.

What apple needs is allow developers to make and submit custom themes to the app store. Apple tests them out to make sure they function well and are speedy, and then puts them up for sale on the App Store.

This way, all the complainers get access to beautiful themes like this, and Apple pockets some money along the way....

Also, want to make sure, everyone can see the above pictures right? If not, they're a select few sample themes from... http://creativefan.com/best-iphone-themes-50-top-free-iphone-themes/

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Nevertheles, people have been using iPhones for the past five years. They're starting to get sick of staring at essentially the same damn home screen for 5 years now, any UI after that length of time starts to feel boring.
5 million in sales over the launch weekend say otherwise. I've used themes before and I always revert back to the default iOS one.

Comment

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
5 million in sales over the launch weekend say otherwise. I've used themes before and I always revert back to the default iOS one.
We buy iphones for the best App store, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't appreciate some customization.

Comment

iPad 2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
If you want to customize you can, but you need to Jailbreak. Are there themes for Mac by default?
Yes, there are themes for Mac, and installing them doesn't void the warranty on your Mac.

On the otherhand, Jailbreaking your iPhone voids your warranty on the device. You shouldn't have to void your warranty just to customize your home screen slightly. Seeing as how there is no legal way to install apps to your iPhone without going through the app store, there is no reason why Apple can't allow developers to submit themes to the App Store that you can purchase, install and uninstall as you see fit.

Comment

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Personally, I think themes are tacky and generally takes away from Apple's simplicity. If you want themes/customization options you should go with an Android.

Comment

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Yes, there are themes for Mac, and installing them doesn't void the warranty on your Mac.

On the otherhand, Jailbreaking your iPhone voids your warranty on the device. You shouldn't have to void your warranty just to customize your home screen slightly. Seeing as how there is no legal way to install apps to your iPhone without going through the app store, there is no reason why Apple can't allow developers to submit themes to the App Store that you can purchase, install and uninstall as you see fit.
Per a Genius at the Apple Store, "If your device is jailbroken, we will just restore our software on it and then troubleshoot it." This came up because HIS was jailbroken and I asked if that was frowned upon as an employee. Of course you can always restore it yourself before bringing it in and they will gladly help you.

Comment

farawaybrothers

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Canada
Personally, I think themes are tacky and generally takes away from Apple's simplicity. If you want themes/customization options you should go with an Android.
Couldn't agree more, the device is made the way it is, if you want to customize it more, then jailbreak it, if not, go for Androids.

Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Theme is nice and will sell well. The question is will it make the OS less stable over time?

Comment

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Themes hurt OS' stability, especially on mobile devices. I used to jailbreak my devices and themes would make them slower. Not saying there isn't a way around it, but thats just one thing to keep in mind.

Comment

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
If apple released themes, they certainly would make them lightweight, perhaps just color schemes. It's possible in 2012 to at least give some color customization without weighing down an A6 chip, so don't give me that it's a hardware issue. They simply don't want to do it, which they have the right to do.

Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Themes would be nice, but would have to be controlled. Apple take the UX VERY seriously (Have you read the Human Interface Guidelines for developers!!)

Otherwise we would end up with stupid buttons and UI elements that frankly make android apps so crap.

Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
How do shiny icons enhance the functionality of the device?

Why is functionality the only relevant consideration?
In addition how does a fancy shredder in passbook enhance the functionality of the device? Could list stacks of eye-candy that doesn't enhance the functionality, but makes the experience of using the device more pleasurable.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.