Its about time to upgrade to a new iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Josh2022, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Josh2022 macrumors member

My last upgrade was in late '04/early '05. It was a Powermac G5. It has treated me well the past few years but I think it is about time to sell it and move on.

I am looking at the new alum. iMacs. I love how they look and when I was at the Apple store yesterday getting Leopard I got to take a look at one hands on and I really have to say that I am impressed with the over all look and speed.

My last mac lasted be almost three years, I was hoping to squeeze another year out of it but I do not believe I can. I currently have two 22" wide screen monitors hooked up to the stock ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card and it gets a bit laggy at times. I also have a custom gaming machiene build just for playing WoW and a few other games. I am planning on selling both rigs in order to fund my new iMac purchase. I am hoping to get around 900 for my G5, and around 1000 for my gaming rig(I already have a friend who is interested). That will give me around 1900 to work with. Money is an issue though. The more I can keep in the bank, the better.

A normal day on my computers(Mac and PC) is School Work (Coding, Graphic Editing (Nothing extreme, basic things)) I also play WoW for a few hours a night. I often have several programs running including an IRC program, Adium, iTunes, Comodo, iCal, etc..) My computers are rarely shut off.

I am tring to figure out which will be the best bang for my buck. I will be hooking one of my 22" monitors up to my iMac (I cant live without two screens =\)

I have done some research and have narrowed it down to two potential candidates:

20" iMac
    * 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB memory (Upgraded from 1GB)
    * 320GB hard drive1
    * 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    * ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

or

24" iMac
    * 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB memory (Upgraded from 1GB)
    * 320GB hard drive1
    * 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    * ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

I have to say that the 24", 2.8GHz is very impressive. I don't know if there is really a reason for me to get all that power though. I would really like this system to last for another three years if not more. Considering the two computers I am looking at are basicially the same, just different sized monitors. Would getting the 24" 2.8GHz system increase the "not-going-out-of-date" time by any considerable amount?

2. Mundy macrumors regular

That was my justification for ordering the 2.8 GHz Core 2 Extreme iMac. I'd like this computer to last me until 2010 (or whenever the next version of OS X is released), so I figured I might as well max out the machine. Mine arrived yesterday and so far it's fantastic. It gives the Mac Pro I used to own a run for its money.

If you're not going to upgrade in a year, then I say go ahead and get the iMac with the Core 2 Extreme.

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

If you plan on keeping it for another couple of years, Max it out as much as you can afford. Get Ram elsewhere though, but then that goes without saying really.

I think 2.4 would be good enough for what you plan on doing, but the 2.8 will give you that little extra in the future when you may need it

4. fireplace macrumors member

i got the 20" 2.4 in basic form in the middle of september - its great.

have now maxed out the ram to 4 gig from crucial (matched pairs are better i believe).

I'm very happy with it even though i chose to miss cheaper leopard. which i bought on the day of release!