It's alive!! With a catch. iBook G3 backlight problems.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by K3mp, Jan 31, 2009.

1. K3mp macrumors 6502

My uncle's iBook G3 crapped out a couple of years ago. Anyway my grandma who is a retired teacher and does a lot of genealogy( we have 5032 entries in our fam tree) was really impressed with reunion. She had to leave macs in about 2000 when FTM dropped mac support. Anyway she was wondering if I could fix my uncle's old iBook for reunion. They told me the video was not working. So I did a google search on iBook G3 video fix and there was a ton of results. So I got ready to re-solder the GPU. So I got the iBook. I had read that sometimes you can put pressure on the bottom and it should work. So before I took it apart I was playing with it. I was putting pressure on the bottom with a couch's arm rest. I re-adjusted the display and it worked!! After a couple of minutes I picked it up. It was still working fine. After a while I tilted the LCD back then the whole screen went black. I could still see the outline of the windows I had open. So I adjusted the display back and it came to life! So now I can put the LCD at about a 90 degree angle and it works. If i push it back the backlight goes off. Sometimes I can go a little further. Any suggestions to fix it?
    Specs: 800 mhz g3
    ? hard drive(it is over 27.7 GB)
    I'm pretty sure it is the 14 inch model.

2. gamer2502 macrumors regular

it could be a loose wire that powers the backlight:apple:

3. K3mp thread starter macrumors 6502

I knew it would be something like that but what I was looking for is like a guide or something to fix it.

4. K3mp thread starter macrumors 6502

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

www.ifixit.com has good guides. The graphics problem with the video going out, there really isn't anything out there that's more then a temporary fix for that. With the backlight it sounds like the wires are shorting out in the hinge. Use the guides to replace it or find the wire(s) that are shorting out and wrap tape around them. It could be just one wire shorting out on the frame/hinge so just fix which one needs to be insulated.