It's all about attitude when getting iPhone replaced...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Sep 16, 2008.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

at least that's what the Orange Shirt Genius told us on Friday, September 12, '09 at the Emeryville (Bay Street) Apple Store, California. I drove one of my friends to the Apple Store and mentioned to the Genius that her v1 iPhone had froze-up during the 2.1 firmware update, I did the hard-boot at least 4X and nothing changed. Even tried to restore twice, but the screen remained frozen. Genius brought out a MBP floater to restore and test her iPhone, but it remained frozen. Genius took it to the back and mentioned she would receive a replacement and they would try to transfer her data, (unsuccessful).

While we waited, the Genius told us that he would normally send this sort of issue to the tech support desk, but since we easily explained our issue and weren't "demanding" or "rude" that he took care of the problem himself. I said "good to know!" We walked out with a beautiful refurb v1 iPhone with all the firmware updates, but minus her contacts, pics, music and videos, (which she backed-up on her computer just two days ago)...:p

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

off topic but how long has that emeryville store been there? Where is it located in conjunction to Best Buy? like by all the little shops I assume...its been about a year since I was in that area and I dont remember seeing an apple store. next time I am out there I will have to check it out!

3. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Grand Opening was Saturday, November 23, '02, and they gave away T-shirts. It's about a mile away from the BB. Bay Street Apple Store is easiest to reach by taking I-80 to the Powell Street exit as you are heading East on I-80; just do a "drop-pin" Apple Stores and you'll get the Bay Street Apple Store RED PIN!

4. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

hmm guess i didnt go that far lol, my grandparents live in san leandro and we always go to the best buy in emeryville.

5. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, it's a pretty nice store in that area, but wait until you stop-in on the Apple Store on Bay Street, they just moved into their new and larger store in June '08. :cool:

6. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

hopefully I'll get to visit this christmas or next summer being in college has really cut down on my visits out there. I'm going to have to visit all the stores out there, our stores are boring here, just in malls and all the same size!!!

7. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You've got to get out to the Stockton Ave San Francisco Apple Store; it's two-stories and has a beautiful seating area for all the free workshops...:cool:

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Get rid of the demanding, arrogant and demeaning attitude so prevalent nowadays towards retail employees and great things usually happen.

9. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I 2nd that... There must have been 5-6 people that interrupted the Genius that was helping us, and they all had "attitude" and loud voices. The Genius sent them to the tech support line which was at least 10 deep. :eek:

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

11. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I'm allergic to bees :(

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Dogs and bees can smell fear.

13. automatickyle macrumors regular

I do agree with this, but at the same time it's hard to keep the biggest smile on your face when you are going in to get your phone replaced for the 5th time. Just my two cents though.

14. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I believe the phrase is "You catch more flies with honey".

Not sure why you would want to catch flies though. Or bees for that matter.

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Seems like common sense to me, no? Be more pleasant, be treated more pleasantly.

I think the other thing is that the Geniuses (and other CS-type folks) are probably lied to constantly and it might just be refreshing to them if someone were honest.

I know I admitted to a Genius that after dropping my (3rd) iPhone, the power button had gotten stuck/ lodged inside the case. He took a quick look here and there, asked me to repeat myself (saying that I had dropped the phone), then started filling out the paperwork for a replacement. :) He did admit that a lot of folks have had this issue, though. So perhaps I had that workin' in my favor.

16. trixnrice macrumors member

couldn't agree more with the op, but would like to add persistance. the combination is deadly. or very successful i should say.