it's been 6 years APPLE! Where's your new 30"??!

rmpstudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I think i might actually have a conniption if they don't release a new LED version at MacWorld this year.

Please tell me there is a sliver or shred of valid rumor in the rumor mill churning?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I think i might actually have a conniption if they don't release a new LED version at MacWorld this year.

Please tell me there is a sliver or shred of valid rumor in the rumor mill churning?
Apple does not attend MacWorld or any other trade shows, so no new 30".

You can get a glossy 27" LED backlit IPS panel for less money from Apple.

rmpstudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Apple does not attend MacWorld or any other trade shows, so no new 30".

You can get a glossy 27" LED backlit IPS panel for less money from Apple.
bleh.. poo... no glossy for me.

I need the matte finish for photography.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Considering the 24 inch they released alongside the Unibody MBPs is glossy, I think it's likely the 30 inch will be glossy too (that is if it is ever released). Maybe the 30 inch will have a matte option for an upcharge.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Canada
Why does it have to be from Apple? Why not a matte 30" IPS screen from Dell? Am I missing something or is this more of a style issue?

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
Yes, Dell is the way to go. Not only is it relatively current, but it has basically any input that you might imagine, including DisplayPort.

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
LightPeak

I'd think we'll have to wait for LightPeak.

It would make sense that a pro Monitor gets an optical link first.

All that's really needed is a combination of LightPeak and power in one combo-cable (which is possible as electricity will not interfere with light signals) and the ultimate 'One-Cable-Connection' monitor is born.

A single Power-plus-LightPeak cable can replace:
- power (obviously)
- dual-link DVI
- miniDisplayPort
- FireWire
- USB (1,2,3)
- digital audio
- etc.

Assuming LightPeak is still on track with initial connectors and electronics sampling now, a new monitor might not be further away than 3-6 months.

Now if you're a pessimist, it might be another 12 months.

And if you're a real pessimist then you'll assume the Mac Pro is phased out anyway - and with it the 30" ACD.

In this case both will just die a slow death over the next years, with no ground-breaking redesign or update.

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
Yes, Dell is the way to go. Not only is it relatively current, but it has basically any input that you might imagine, including DisplayPort.
If it only had a solid metal frame...

The DELL's plastic is so flimsy and floppy that every time you press an on-screen button it wobbles back and forth.

Minor issue to some, while others do prefer a solidly built monitor.
That alone was the reason why I went with the old Apple ACD and not with the DELL.

Call me stupid, but I prefer non-plastic hardware.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I'd think we'll have to wait for LightPeak.

It would make sense that a pro Monitor gets an optical link first.

All that's really needed is a combination of LightPeak and power in one combo-cable (which is possible as electricity will not interfere with light signals) and the ultimate 'One-Cable-Connection' monitor is born.

A single Power-plus-LightPeak cable can replace:
- power (obviously)
- dual-link DVI
- miniDisplayPort
- FireWire
- USB (1,2,3)
- digital audio
- etc.

Assuming LightPeak is still on track with initial connectors and electronics sampling now, a new monitor might not be further away than 3-6 months.

Now if you're a pessimist, it might be another 12 months.

And if you're a real pessimist then you'll assume the Mac Pro is phased out anyway - and with it the 30" ACD.

In this case both will just die a slow death over the next years, with no ground-breaking redesign or update.
The earliest we'll see Light Peak, is Q4 2010, and 2011 is more realistic IMO, as it's new tech. First run designs take longer to complete, as there's nothing already done to use as a starting point (hardware or drivers).

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
bleh.. poo... no glossy for me.

I need the matte finish for photography.

don't expect matte finish on apple cinema displays anymore

it's been a while already

they update their screens based on potential sales only

would not be profitable if they release a 16/9 30" screen that would not sell well

if you are happy with your matte 30" acd, why wanting a new one ?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
No longer logging into MR

The DELL's plastic is so flimsy and floppy that every time you press an on-screen button it wobbles back and forth.

That alone was the reason why I went with the old Apple ACD and not with the DELL.

I have a Dell S2409W without those issues. I don't use the display as a keyboard so if it does move a little, it's not bothering me.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
You can get the NEC 30" for $999 right now from NEC store. Might want to look into that.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Something tells me that you might change your preferences if/when Apple drops their all-aluminum designs (and they will once people get tired of the current look which will probably happen soon) :D

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Something tells me that you might change your preferences if/when Apple drops their all-aluminum designs (and they will once people get tired of the current look which will probably happen soon) :D
If they do drop the current design, they will not and should not move to plastic. It will still be aluminum but different.

To OP, saying "I need matte for photography" makes zero sense. As long as the LCD panel is color accurate (S-IPS or IPS) you're good to go. Matte finish diffuses light so light reflections are less apparent. Glossy finish is like a mirror. Either way you will be having some loss of color accuracy. Might as well take glossy since it looks better.

maghemi

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Call me stupid
Well you're stupid. I have the current DELL 30" sitting in front of me right now. Does not feel flimsy. The only button I ever need to press is the power button, and that feels plenty solid, and works no less effectively than the power button on the front of my Mac Pro.

And to boot I have a really nice screen that isn't 6 year old tech.

Yes the Apple casing looks better. But right now with the lights off in this room I can't actually see the casing of the DELL, nor would I be able to the Apple screen, so I don't see how that really matters.

Winters

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010

Huh are you talking about the 3008wfp? The bezel looks like dark gray brushed aluminum to me.
I tried to push the buttons really hard and couldn't get any wobbles :eek:
By the way you need only to press the button softly them to react so if you are talking about the 3008wfp you probably looked at bad sample.

Winters

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
I read here that lg and samsung the main producers of 30" panels for computers weren't really motivated to produce new 30" panels so we are probably going to be stuck with 27" as new top of the line screens for a while.