It's been about 3 weeks and my site hasn't shown up on Google yet?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by fluidedge, Mar 15, 2010.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I submitted it ages ago. I've had google spiders on my site. I submitted it again last week. It still doesn't exist in google.

What gives?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

New sites can take awhile to show up in Google. They are sand boxed for 6 months so don't expect anything spectacular. Once your site has been up for awhile Google will see that it is going to stay up for awhile and will probably push the spidering results to the search engine proper at a faster rate.

3. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Nice. I didn't know that. Good info. :)

4. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

so it might be 6 months!?

If it doesn't get listed now there's a good chance it won't be around in 6 months :mad:

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

One thing that can help is to have link in from reputable sites that have similar content, thus giving your site more credence. Just having a link on a popular site like Mac Rumors won't help a whole lot unless the site relates to Macs. So this doesn't just mean leave a link to your site just anywhere, it needs to be good relevant places.

6. covisio macrumors 6502

covisio

I recently built a site in WordPress but erroneously left the 'hide this blog from search engines' selector on. This puts a 'noindex,nofollow' meta tag in the header of the index page. All search engines then happily ignored the site.
    I removed it and manually resubmitted it to Google and it showed up about a week later.
    6 months is highly pessimistic. A freshly built site with reasonable SEO and the correct header information should show up within a couple of weeks, max.

7. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

if it's the site that's in your signature, then it's already on google. just type in the url, and it will come up. if you type in your name, then it comes up on third page of google results (contact me page). as for showing up on the front page of search results, then that's a different story. that requires seo optimization and trackback links (other sites linking to yours).

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's not 6 months.

Yeah. Plus forums typically have nofollow for links so web sites posted on forums don't really count as links.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

My new sites generally take 4 - 6 weeks or so to start showing up. It just depends how much work you put in. If you have a lot of inbound links then Google will start to notice your site more. If you have no inbound links then it will obviously take longer.

10. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb