Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
And this is what I perhaps love most about Jobs, his total pragmatism, as idealist as he is, he's also very down to earth which is why his idealism is able to affect the world. It's a perfect mix. Bill Gates is a master of pragmatism, but has no idealism. Gates doesn't lack vision, but he doesn't idealise his vision enough.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
I think its safe to say that had Jobs not come back to Apple, either there wouldnt be a macintosh today or the company would be reduced to lisencing the only software it has left to third parties. Gates is in it to make money and to monopolize more so than anything else but Jobs is in it to really change things

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
jamesi said:
Gates is in it to make money and to monopolize more so than anything else but Jobs is in it to really change things

waahhahahahahahahahahhahahaha wtf?

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Boy Jobs sure knows what he is doing. There should be a class for CEOs based on him. He knows what customers want. God had I bought stock back then.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
BENJMNS said:
waahhahahahahahahahahhahahaha wtf?
You're right. From an interview a few years ago:

Q: What's the biggest surprise this technology will deliver?

Jobs: The problem is I'm older now, I'm 40 years old, and this stuff doesn't change the world. It really doesn't.

Q: That's going to break people's hearts.

Jobs: I'm sorry, it's true. Having children really changes your view on these things. We're born, we live for a brief instant, and we die. It's been happening for a long time. Technology is not changing it much - if at all.

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow, he really gets pretty damn pissed there at the end with all of those people boo-ing the microsoft partnership. I really don't think that was scripted.

This really shows that Jobs came in and immediately said "Ok, cut the crap." More power to him and it really shows how he's working on those ideas even today and ESPECIALLY with the intel macs.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I kind of forgot about the Microsoft partnership, stock purchase... all this.

Interesting parallel to the most recent keynote:

Microsoft committing to make Office for five more years.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Thank your for posting that. I just had a long talk with a few mac heads from way back about this era in Apple. Nice to see what remember isn't just fantasy. I find his honesty most striking. How often do we see that from our leaders even today?

Steve really did bring back the Mac.

iMeowbot, do you have a link to the full interview? I'd be interested to see what SJ says in his later years about changing the world today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.