It's been good...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Apple2, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Apple2 macrumors member

Apple2

Sadly, I have decided to switch away from OSX. Apple's recent decisions with Lion, and then Mountain Lion... Next thing you know you won't even be able to run apps that haven't been caressed by Apple. This will essentially remove indie developers and new innovations from Apple's world. It's been a good ride, but Apple, you've really screwed up this time. Have fun with your iDevices and iOSX. You've lost me. Hope you do well now that you've lost your professional base.

Apple2 Signing Off

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

3. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

so...you can't run your apps in lion? and won't be able to in mountain lion?
    and should ALL progress with mac os x be halted to keep u happy?

i like lion, don't love it. don't use some of it's new features.
    but it's FAST, and STABLE, my main requirement for an OS.

dude: pointless rant, really.

4. HabSonic macrumors regular

If it's better for you, then do it. No point to argue against personal preference.

5. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Okay, then your pointlessly ranting about a rant. =)

I agree, I am using Snow Leopard until its no longer an option, and then will probably be going to another platform. The writing is on the walls. Apple only cares about OS X if it can do something to make more money off of it now. The GateKeeper in Mountain Lion is the only "OS" part of the upgrade, and they only reason they bothered is because they are pushing developers to their Store so they can take a 30% cut of their sales.

Also, the last two words I would use to describe Lion (even after 10.7.3) are fast or stable.

6. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

am only sharing my experience. seems funny2me, watching people bail on the mac because the OS isn't what THEY want it to be (why i jb'd my iPhone i guess). the alternatives seem much worse.

whatever works; really, as long as we can get your WORK done, who cares which OS we use..

:D

7. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Why leave when you haven't even USED Mountain Lion...

What the actual hell? :confused: Did I miss something here?

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Sounds fair TBH, I may very well move to Debian if Apple keeps going with the trend of dumbing down OS X and regressing it into iOS.

9. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

solaris, debian. ok.
    but what about APPS? for most people, the apps are the thing (not the OS).
    so, it's basically (still) a windows or mac world.

am not abandoning the OS because it's not exactly what i want it to be.
    i adapt, use what i like, ignore the rest.

and thankfully, there's a great world of shareware & freeware apps to fill in the blanks.

10. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Its because we used Lion, and see that Mountain Lion is more of the same. Separating Mail into Mail, Notes, and Reminders and renaming iCal to Calendar does not an OS upgrade make... The only thing they really changed on Mountain Lion was Gatekeeper, and thats an attempt to make them more money off of developers supporting their platform.

11. nostylluan macrumors member

why does it matter if its not "techically" an OS upgrade?

there isn't much to upgrade in OSX.

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Don't let the door knob hit your butt on the way out...

The professional base is growing, not shrinking. Just because aspects of iOS are moving to Mac OS X, soon to be "OS X", doesn't mean the OS is any less capable. A "professional" would know that.....

S-

13. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

I feel your pain. Right now I dislike Lion and it seems I'll keep disliking some aspects of Mountain Lion. Unfortunately I'll have to go full Lion soon due to Xcode no longer being updated for Snow Leopard. It's sad, but it has to be done :\

It's a tough call... Even with all my disliking of Lion, I don't think I could go back to Windows...

14. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Ok so tell me what exactly is wrong with Lion then if you all hate it so much.

We could all do without you if you're as temperamental and stupid and *unprofessional* in real life as you are on here.

Good riddance I say! :rolleyes:

15. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Wow. A little emotional over somebody bashing Lion are we?

It's just a silly Operating System. :)

Edit: Never mind. I just read your name. Explains everything. Carry on.

16. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

I happen to use Ubuntu and Windows as well so carry on...

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

18. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

A power user adapts and finds new ways to accommodate and streamline his workflow.

A power user does NOT abandon an OS because it evolves.

People are taking the ten new/updated features that Schiller spoke about and trying to make it sound like its a radically new OS.

You guys are nuts. I may not love every new feature but I still see that at the core OSX is still a great OS unlike anything else out there.

I also don't believe for a split second that anyone who says they're moving to a new OS will actually do so.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING changes over time. The fact that Apple hardware outlasts the software is testament to the quality that Apple puts in their products. And your willing to just give all that up because theirs a need to unify the user experience (in some respects) across all devices. And because they're attempting to make things work smarter and better.

Yeah I can see how it makes sense to run from OSX as fast as possible.

I don't believe that for a second.