It's beginning . . .

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by elberto1, Nov 5, 2012.

1. elberto1 macrumors newbie

Apple is starting to turn into Microsoft.

No I'm not talking about the map apps -- I actually think that was a wise move to combat Google's intentional nerfing of the iOS platform. And I think most apple products are great. But in two key ways, Apple is beginning to rot:

1) It is becoming less tinker-friendly in the name of protecting its intellectual property. For instance, it packages Safari editions specific to OS editions -- and doesn't think anyone will tinker with Safari. So if you have Mountain lion and alter its code/ delete it, you are **** out of luck -- not a place on the legal internet where you could ever get it again without reinstalling your operating system. even as a legal owner.

2) iOS is becoming inadvertently complicated in its attempts to be "simple."
    you have to download your downloadable content from THREE different "apps."
    i) Itunes now only does music, tv, and movies.
    ii) "App Store" only does apps.
    iii) and "Podcasts" only does podcasts.

For NO REASON!

What next? Bifurcating itunes into "itunes" and "iwatch"?

Hopeful that someone here somehow knows someone who knows someone who can avert the microsofting of Apple...

2. revs macrumors regular

1 - Apple have never been tinker friendly. They have always wanted sealed/appliance like machines.
    - Safari will be code signed, as will most apps, which is why you cant mess about with them, as that screws the code signing.

2 - Sounds very self explanatory? PODcast app for POD casts. APPstore for APPs?

3. Beeplance, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Omg, OP, is this what is bothering you? This is Apple's business, not yours, who bother about if? Life is much more than that, don't you have other more significant things to worry about?

Forget about such predicaments, my friend. It's not worth losing hair thinking about it.

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Don't worry OP. The world is ending this year so you won't have to worry about the trauma of it all.

;)

5. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Google never wanted to nerf ios lol blame apple that want everyone to bow down

6. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

I agree about the podcasts. You use to be able to go into the iTunes store on your iPhone, select a podcast and start streaming or downloading it. Now however if you try, you'll get a nice message telling you that you need the podcast app. WTF? What's the point? Heres an idea, if you want to complicate things by forcing us to download unnecessary apps, why even bother having podcasts show up in the iTunes store? Just create a podcast store to be accessed through your awful podcasts app.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Squint enough and everything looks the same. :rolleyes:

8. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Can we stop spreading misinformation?

Apple nerfed Google Maps on iOS. Not Google.

9. LearnIIBurn macrumors member

I'm still amazed everyday how cool all the stuff around me is. It advances so quickly and I like being front and center for it all, good or not so good.

Apple creates damn fine products that have a weird sex appeal to them that people haven't really grasped yet. We are attracted to their quality and design, even though we complain about every little nitpick like our lives are ending.

Every little device/tablet/laptop/desktop are all bonuses to me and for fun and convenience. But the cell phone is a companion we have all come to rely on. The iPhone is very, very, very cool and does so much we can barely keep up with it. And its small enough to be with us 24/7, light enough to not notice, and lasts almost all day with heavy use. It is our camera, communicator, game console, social network hub, mail, calendar, organizer, TV, canvas for art, studio for music, etc.

Its really really cool. Sometimes we forget that.

Android is cool too. Just a different kind of cool for a different kind of nerd :).

10. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital