It's clear Mac Pro is Dead, could iMac go same way?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NextGenApple, Jun 11, 2012.

1. NextGenApple macrumors regular

Looks like Apple are clearing out their inventory with the supposedly NEW MAC PRO could the iMac be going down the same route? Apple released old hardware with the pro's although not surprised as they have done this before

It looks like Apple are more focussed on Mobile devices. laptops, Phones etc, Will this faze out the iMac

2. highlights macrumors newbie

I don't think that makes any sense. People want big screens, don't they? If apple started offering more large monitor options then I could maybe see a shift towards pushing laptop+monitor configurations, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

And from a university perspective, how would that work? There are more than a few "mac" labs on my campus, and all have dozens of iMacs (even though they run windows more often than OSX, ick!). Many offices do too. They might be moving away from the workhorse mac pro, but I would find it hard to believe that they would even think about phasing out the iMac. There isn't a suitable replacement, monitor wise, if one wants to stick to all-mac products. Apple can't possible think that a 15" monitor is sufficient for everyone, no matter how "retina" it is.

3. fisha macrumors regular

Personally, I think the iMac is holding out for a better GPU setup to be released. That better GPU option would stretch the line upwards into he Mac Pro space and make it an alternative to the Mac Pro.

In fact with the extra cooling etc etc that the new Mac Pro Retina has, if they brought that to the iMac, then could they really up the game with the GPU ... push even towards a desktop card in there? ( an iMac Pro almost! )

4. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

The iMac is a good seller, the Mac Pro is a niche machine. I do not think that you can draw the conclusion that the iMac is dead just because Apple did not announce all of their '12 upgrades in one day.

----------

Yes, I also expect the new iMac to retina.

5. cypress822 macrumors regular

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

No, not really. Read the posts in the Mac Pro section.

7. fisha macrumors regular

I'm not convinced on retina for the imac just yet. I think the cost of production would make and iMac R(etina) display too expensive ( if the MacBook one is anything to go by ).

For retina to be worth it, it has to equal or better the existing user real estate ... so for a 27" that needs 5120px wide ... the yeilds on manufacturing would need to be very very good, and I just dont see that happening just yet. A 27" screen upping to 3840px wide would only give a user real estate of 1920 at HiDPI ... which is less than the normal DPI amount of 2560px ... so a pointless upgrade. 3840px at normal DPI would be tiny icons and difficult to use.

I am disappointed that there is no iMac update ... I was really hoping for one.