It's come down to What I should buy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JulieGirl, Nov 22, 2009.

1. JulieGirl macrumors newbie

I've read and reread some threads but can't quite understand some of the terms, ideas, comments.

I have a computer that is fine for the internet, but I just want a mac for garageband and video in order to upload to youtube.

Is a G5 ok to do this?

The intel (2.16 and higher) are all $600+ on ebay.

If I want garageband and some simple/basic video thing for youtube should I just save for a refub 2.16+ at Apple Store?

Well, thanks to anyone who has a word for me...

Julie

2. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

for me ...i would save and buy from apple refurb. jut for the ease of mind if there ever was a problem you could drive back to the apple store verse shipping the unit back

3. JulieGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it just for the -ease of mind if there's a problem- aspect?

If I choose to take a chance on an ebay computer would a G5 suffice to make some tunes on garageband and upload some crap to youtube?

4. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hi Julie

Yes, a G5 will play GarageBand just fine and surf the net very well.

You can run Leopard, though Tiger may be a happier experience depending on what particular G5 you end up with. G5's are unsupported with Snow Leopard.

I can personally say that iLife '08 works OK on a G5 iMac, though I never used iMovie or iDVD on it. GarageBand and iPhoto seem OK.

Personally, I would save up for a Refurb Intel Mac Mini or iMac.

Why? Because the G5s are getting older and Apple isn't well known for Legacy support. If you stick with Apple for any length of time you will probably end up buying an Intel Mac anyway, so why not just start with one?

I also have a "Previous Generation" Mac mini with the Intel graphics. This system is much less powerful than the current "nVidia" Mini. Yet, my Mini is quite capable. It can run anything but the most demanding HD, Video Editing or Gaming titles nicely.
    If I didn't have CS4, Premiere Pro and various other Video editing apps, the Mini does just fine for day-to-day stuff.

Happy Shopping,
    Keri

5. JulieGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Keri. Thank you!

I appreciate it.

How does mac mini work for video?
    There's no camera is there?

6. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

You're welcome!

How does a Mini work for Video?

Well, it kind of depends on what you mean by Video.

The term has different meaning for different people.

In the first aspect, How well can it display videos on the screen?
    The newest Mini does nicely at this. My older one does OK.

In the second aspect, important to people that process video files for export to DVD or YouTube, the newer Minis do OK at this. You probably wouldn't want to run Premiere Pro or Final Cut Studio on a Mini, but iMovie, iDVD and maybe Final Cut Express should be fine.

No, the Mini does not have a Camera of any sort. The iMacs do.
    So does the new 24" Apple Cinema Display, which will work nicely with the newer nVidia Minis.
    These cameras are called iSight and are mounted directly on the screen at the top center. Basically, they're a nice Webcam.

If you want to make movies, you're going to need a Camcorder of some kind. Nearly all modern Camcorders have a FireWire or USB port that will connect to any Mac Desktop and most MacBooks. Sometimes the FireWire port is called "DV" on the camera.

My recommendation is for a modern iMac. Either the newest 24" or 27" or possibly the most recent generation that has just been discontinued in the last month or so. The Mini is a nice system, but you have to buy (or already have) a monitor, keyboard and mouse. All of which are included with an iMac.

Have Fun,
    Keri

PS>The third aspect is video as in Gaming. This aspect will elicit cries of "I can build a better computer for half the price" all over the Internet. Macs do not usually have a strong emphasis on Gaming as well as a Playstation for example. If you're a hardcore Gamer, you probably wouldn't be here and you certainly wouldn't be considering a G5.

7. JulieGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Well Ms. KJ fr Chicago I certainly thank you again.
    Very very kind of you.

By video I just meant using the camera on the computer to, maybe, show me playing the instruments during whatever song I create with GB and throw on there.

G5 sounds fine for me, though. I'm not high-tech at all. I just need that garageband to record simple tunes.

thx thx