It's Decision Day & the Mini is Staying

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by F-Train, Dec 14, 2018.

1. F-Train, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

I'll be letting the 14 day return period go by this evening and keeping the new computer. It's turned out to be perfect for my needs and I'm not having a single problem with it. It has even opened the door to something that I haven't tried before, a bit of computer gaming.

I wanted a computer that I can carry onto a plane, or stash in a car, without fuss, and without the limitations of a laptop. For that, it's perfect.

I'm running Final Cut, Motion, Compressor, Logic, iZotope RX and Ozone, lots of Native Instruments stuff, Photoshop and Lightroom, and it's handling them all with aplomb. And while I've purchased an external GPU, I'm also discovering that the internal GPU does just fine, thanks.

I'm having fun with the eGPU, learning a few things in the process, and giving computer games, pretty much a new thing for me, a chance. Two weeks ago, I thought that FPS was something that one only came across at the movies, and that steam was water vapour.

As much as I like my iMac's monitor, the new one has opened the door to HDR, includes colour spaces that the iMac doesn't and that I want, and works for me very nicely at its native resolution. This is a good thing, because I have zero patience for discussions that involve pixel counting. I kinda like a 32" display, too.

Finally, I love the ports. The ability to plug in a fast external drive without breaking the bank is one of this computer's great pleasures. So far I don't need a hub, and I'm planning to keep it that way.

This pint size computer is going to the North Atlantic come summer and to Sicily next fall, and I'm set.

2. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Finally, Apple did something right, in a long time.

So happy for you. May your Mini serve you faithfully for a long time. :)

3. user_xyz macrumors regular

user_xyz

Don't you have until Jan 6?? (extended Holiday Return Period)

I'm Sure I'm keeping mine as Well!! :D

4. F-Train thread starter macrumors 65816

Didn't think of that, could well be. Doesn't matter, because I figured that the deadline was today, and I've made a decision - happily.

5. harriska2 macrumors 65816

harriska2

I love mine. I comment on it every day to my husband, who still has his broken 2013 iMac and curses at it every day for beach balling. I suspect his fusion drive is on the way out. Unfortunately we can't test it because, oops, the lcd is broke and you can't boot on a thumb drive in mirror mode to check the hard drive.

If only he could get a new Mac mini ;)

6. F-Train, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018

F-Train thread starter macrumors 65816

The portability of the mini had its first test today.

I'm a passive investor in a new business, except that I'm playing an active role in its visibility on social media.

This morning, I drove over to the business, mini in the car, to work with a photographer on a photo shoot. It took no-time to connect the mini to a monitor at the business and run the shoot tethered. The two business computers, both desktops, need to run Windows, and we want to use Mac for social media production. We learned that it's going to be easy.

My one caveat is that the mini is a slippery bugger. Next time it's going to travel in a shoulder/messenger bag.

7. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

8. donklaus, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

donklaus macrumors member

9. F-Train, Dec 17, 2018

Thanks, your post made me realise that a few strips of gaffer tape, which I always have, should do it. The good thing about gaffer tape is that it is quick to apply and remove, and leaves no residue.

10. ktcifone macrumors member

My BTO i7/32/512 blows my hacked 2012 out of the water with expandability and performance.
    5 simultaneous Plex streams without breaking a sweat and test conversion via handbrake is almost 50% faster.

stock config since my last mini is on sierra so didnt migrate and I have no buggy software artifacts.

no issues but only wish I could have bought 2.

11. F-Train, Dec 17, 2018

Have a look at the new 64-bit Compressor. It is lightning fast, and the latest release note (today or maybe yesterday) says that it will use all the RAM, of which you have a significant 32GB, that you can throw at it.

That said, if you are using Handbrake to rip rights protected DVDs, forget what I just said. Compressor won't do it.

12. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I bought a region locked terry Pratchett one year, not available in USA. Had to HB it just to play!

13. bigfatipod macrumors regular

Which 2012 model were you using?

14. crazeazn macrumors member

If its hacked, i bet it was a 12' i7 2.6/16/SSD(s). These kind of posts give me promise since I lost the ability to raid my 850Pros since High Sierra.

15. ktcifone macrumors member

I have a 2012 2.3Ghz i7 16GB ram with a 2 - 128GB SSD drives raid 0.
    i did a clean config to my 2018. still using the 2012 as a headless sandbox.

16. Partron22, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

They sell shower anti-slip tape at decent hardware stores.
    It's cheap, and transparent. I used it for years on my iPad 1. Never needed to replace it. Didn't need a big clumsy shell either. Didn't look half bad either.

17. DrKeys macrumors newbie

I actually agree with F-Train. After using my MM2018 with i7, 32GB ram, 1GB SSD, and 2GB NVMe/PCI external SSD hooked up to Razer Core X with AMD Vega 64 external GPU. The performance difference for routine task I noticed almost no difference..

I think if I got the i5, 8GB ram, 500GB SSD (and upgrade that to 16 or 32 GB ram would actually be fine. well hindsight is always 20/20

anyways I got MacPro class workstation now.. sooo.. I'll be good for a while likely the next 10 years.

:)