Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enderg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
I've noticed a huge increase in static electricity discharges since taking delivery of my Apple Watch. Could the Flouroelastometer band have something to do with this phenomenon?

greenglue

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
QC, Canada
I've noticed a huge increase in static electricity discharges since taking delivery of my Apple Watch. Could the Flouroelastometer band have something to do with this phenomenon?

Rubber (and Flouroelastometer too) acts as an insulator for electricity. Ceramic as well. But if the metal is touching you directly from the Watch and there is a lose ground in either your watch or your home, you touching things could create enough potential difference for a tiny shock.

As a test, to see if it is Apple Watch or not, put a pice of paper, maybe a business card, under the watch. Heart rate monitor won't work btu see if that fixes the problem, if it does then you know it's the watch.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Could the Flouroelastometer band have something to do with this phenomenon?
Confirmation bias. There's no such connection as you describe.

Watches have had synthetic bands for decades without shocking people, and the biggest reason for this is because it can't happen. To build up a static potential you must transfer charge to or from another separate object, which obviously can't be in direct contact with your own arm, as then it wouldn't actually transfer anywhere. :)

You're being shocked because of something else; soles of your shoes or socks rubbing on carpet, or something like that.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

Are you down under? Not much static this time of year in the northern hemisphere.

enderg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Are you down under? Not much static this time of year in the northern hemisphere.

That's one of the most perplexing things. I live in South Florida and static electricity is just not normal at all due to the humidity. But I'm not making it up. Since I got the watch I get a static discharge every time I get out of my car. And even at my job, I get shocked constantly. And yes, I know I doesn't make any sense. Weird right?

Last edited:

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
Probably the fluxcapacitor.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.