It's finally coming! the 6G iPod!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by hatcher146, Aug 28, 2007.

1. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

....well hopefully. but wow you dont know how excited i am...i have been waiting forever!!!! and based on the invite it looks like coverflow so im guessing its gonna have a touchscreen! this is so exciting. this week is gonna go by soooo slow.

how long before they get to retail stores such as bestbuy, circuit city, etc??

are yall stoked or what??!! :D :apple::apple::apple:

2. ds252 macrumors regular

Apple Store will get it on the day of the release and stores like best buy and circuit city will get it most likely 2 or 3 days later.

3. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

While the prospect of a new iPod is exciting, I wouldn't start counting my chickens before they've hatched!

The question is, are we going to see a new fullsize iPod, or iPod Nano, or both?

Or nothing? :eek:

4. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

well whatever it is, its gonna be nice. it just has to be. apple has spent a while on this thing. all im hoping for is a widescreen touch iPod. i would love wifi but im doubting it. oh well. im exctied...whatever it is...apple will make it great....hopefully. :rolleyes:

5. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Whatever it is...I'm going to buy it:D

I'm just excited and right there with you hatcher146. Although...not as excited as I was about the iPhone. The iPhone is tough competition for any new iPod that comes out.

6. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I am betting that it will not have any touchscreen features

Apple isn't going to make the iPhone worthless.

7. Mistershark macrumors regular

Exactly, for all we know, Steve could walk onstage, yell, "Gotcha!", and walk off.

Seriously though, I would love to see new Nanos and Videos introduced. Touchscreen or not.

8. nlivo macrumors 6502a

i am ridiculously excited aswell!!!!!!! if it isn't touchscreen i will be PISSED!!!!

9. beaker26 macrumors member

This is a turning point in the iPod line. If the leaked pictures are the 6th generation iPod, then market-share might go down. I think Apple HAS to release a multi-touch iPod for the fact that they want to be seen as the first that can do that for an MP3 player, if they wait till next year you never know what Microsoft has up their sleeves. I think iLounge knows what the iPod will be looking like, they are running a story about the pictures from last week and mention something about cases and how they are taking a different shape, so I have a feeling they are already getting deliveries for the new iPods. Bottom of the line, multi touch or I'm going to get whatever Cowon comes out with.

10. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Well, the iPhone is, you know, a phone as well. That could possibly distinguish itself from an iPod. ;)

11. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

It would be horrible mistake for apple to not release a new ipod on the 5th, they havnt made any real updates since october 2005 (brighter screen, longer battery wasnt a major improvement, at least not big enough to make current ipod owners go buy another)

12. Nemisis macrumors member

So, they are just going to announce it on the 5th...not releasing?

13. ds252 macrumors regular

why would you say such a horrible thing.

i would think that if they announce it, it will be released that day but only at apple stores so hopefully you have one near you...Best buys and circuit city's or in canada futureshops will be receiving it shortly after.

14. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

the new iPod coming HAS to be touchscreen. i mean really. its just got to be right? and it will probably as he said come out on the fifth to apple stores then retail stores. i cant wait though. it just better have touch screen. and wifi i am really hoping for. well for safari....i dont care too much about downloading off of itunes i have a laptop for that. i CANT WAITTT!! and i also have school that day...i gotta wait till i get home.

will there be a spoiler free page that has a video link? i really hope. Arn....if your reading...will there be? or anyone else?

SEPTEMBER 5th HURRY UP!

15. Doctorsti macrumors regular

not being a long time Mac follower I will find it interesting if they release a new version ipod while there is a promotion for a free one for all education staff/students/etc... I would imagine they would wait until the promotion is over on Sept. 16th to release something new. Maybe they won't offer it as part of the promotion but that might not look really good. "Buy a Mac get a free Ipod!!!! (but not that one!) I am getting ready to pick up my first mac and may wait until the 5th just to see.

16. Nemisis macrumors member

Will I be able to purchase it online? The closest apple store is 60 miles away...So...that'll suck if I can't. I mean, I wouldn't see why not.

17. iCanuck macrumors newbie

From my understanding, you qualify for the iPod promotion if and only if the iPod that you purchase with your new Mac has a part number that is listed on the disclaimer on :apple:'s site.

I would assume that if these new iPods are released before Sept. 16th that their part numbers would not be included and thus not be eligible for the rebate.

18. Doctorsti macrumors regular

yes there are "eligible" part numbers. That does not make much sense to offer old equipment as a bonus, IMHO. Not that it would stop me from buying a new mac and a new ipod and selling the old crappy;) ipod on ebay to make up for the cost (same I assume) for the new ipod.

Sorry for the off topic derailing.

19. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

I'd bet that there will still only be 3 product models- the iPod will become full screen w/ touch controls, the nano will retain its clickwheel, and the shuffle will see a 2GB black model.

If they add the touchscreen as a fourth model, what really differentiates the iPod from the nano besides a larger screen and video? The touchscreen would be larger and at the same or only slightly higher cost, wouldn't people just buy the full screen version?

I also think that it will retain its $249 price point, provided that NAND is used. If not, I'd bet the price increases $50.

-=|Mgkwho

20. DENZIE macrumors member

DENZIE

Hell yeah, i'm excited! Just sold my current iPod on ebay for 330 US, stoked! Sux to be the dude who unwraps it from the post next wednesday and finds out there are new ones lol

For the wi-fi, i will be stoked if it has, but I don't care if you can't go on the web.... controlling itunes around the house through an airport express and with coverflow will be awesome! Think about the hosting a party with that in your pocket.. mad

I always wondered what the checkbox 'allow itunes control from remote speakers' in prefs was for.. perhaps for the new ipod (or am i stupid and theres something else that does it, like keyspans remotes)

21. hemlockz3 macrumors newbie

Touchscreen concept on new iPod?

One concept I have not seen proposed for a "likely" new iPod in any forums or articles of conjecture:

Given all the touchscreen patents Apple has filed, what about a "virtual clickwheel" that can pop up on the screen for easy forward, pause, volume etc??? This would take care of the problem of being able to control the iPod with one hand which I have seen as a complaint of a possible touchscreen.

22. ds252 macrumors regular

Well you might as well wait another day but yeah it'll probably be on the apple website that day.

23. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for all the replies guys....only 5 more days!! cant wait! :eek:

if there is wifi on the new iPod how likely will it be for it to have safari do you think?

24. Gen3tix macrumors newbie

Yea, I'm so excited! It's been a while since we've had a big update. Hoping most of these rumors are true. If so, I'll be going to the Apple Store with my friend later that afternoon and we'll both be proud owners of touch-screen ipods. :)

25. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Come on replacement for my 3G...come on something good enough...

Before, the main reason to want a new iPod was my extremely low battery life, but I got the battery replaced and now I need something good to persuade me :)