It's finally here!

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
After some delays the Mac Pro finally arrived today, two days earlier than expected. Just got done installing the software and what not, so I'll post photos of the setup tomorrow for those that asked.

Here's the specs:
Mac Pro Dual Quad Core 3.0GHz
9GB DDR2 RAM
1.75TB storage
ATI Radeon x1900XT
30" Cinema Display & 23" Cinema Display

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Looks like a monster setup. Enjoy it and let us know what you like/dislike about it since around September I'll be in the market as well.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
I'm going to be using it for web browsing, sending some emails, and listening to iTunes.

Lol, not really. I'm doing major photo editing and soon enough, with a colleague/friend, a LOT of video editing with Final Cut for a few corporations around Ohio. And when it's on down time by not rendering it'll be Folding @ Home. The place where I got it asked me what exactly I was planning on doing with it, curious just to make sure that I was "worthy", and told them exactly what I'd be doing and they seemed to approve...

~Crawn

P.S. I'm also hoping to do a side short film with the same guy that we've been toying with since high school and that was like 8-9 years ago!

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
The place where I got it asked me what exactly I was planning on doing with it, curious just to make sure that I was "worthy", and told them exactly what I'd be doing and they seemed to approve...
I would have said, "You idiots, what do you think I am going to do with it? I'm going to take over the city, and then......THE WORLD!" and then rip their front shirt pocket off and step on it.

Klian

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2006
OMG 9GB RAM ?

My mac pro works perfectly fine with 1GB I cant imagine it with 9GB

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Congratulations! You'll Be King Of Ohio

Fantastic setup. I'm jealous. Glad to see you had the courage to take the plunge now. Please let us know how it goes with periodic reports of your successes. :)

That RAM is the 2 x 512MB Sticks base Plus 4 x 2GB sticks right? That's the same way I plan to populate mine as soon as they add a Stoakley logic board.

What's the hard drive breakdown? 250 base + two x 750GB Seagates?

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Just curious, did you purchase the MP extra ram as a BTO, or did you save a hell of a lot of cash and buy the ram from a component supplier?

Anyway, congrats of the Mighty Mac Pro :)apple: should definately rename the next revision to that lol)

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Just curious, did you purchase the MP extra ram as a BTO, or did you save a hell of a lot of cash and buy the ram from a component supplier?

Anyway, congrats of the Mighty Mac Pro :)apple: should definately rename the next revision to that lol)
I bought is after market, all 8 gigs for like $450 (I know the people that own the Mac place I bought it from, been purchasing Macs from them since the original Titanium PowerBook G4).

Mighty Mac Pro... Reminds me of Mighty Mouse!

It didn't really matter to me exactly what motherboard, etc. was in it. I needed something now and I'm one of those that doesn't wait for the next revision. Though I understand why a lot of people are waiting. The hard drive setup is 1x250, 3x500GB and the memory is 2x512, 4x2GB.

And Royale w/ Cheese, I wish I had thought of that!

~Crawn

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
...And Royale w/ Cheese, I wish I had thought of that!
Things like that are why my friends either really hate or really love to go shopping with me. I tend to have ALOT of fun at salespeople's expenses when I spend alot of money (ok ANY money). Plus I have a special vendetta toward Genius Bar staff. (ok, that may not be relevant)

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Hey congras OP! I have a very similar setup with 9GB of RAM...excep mt 2.5 Terabytes of space is via a gigabit network.

Its a sweet machine that kicks major a$$.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Crawn did you buy it from MacDepot or Weingarten(AS)? Can I come over and play wth it?

:)

By the way, I just ate a cheeseburger out of the vending machine here at work... :(

vivalanation734

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
i honestly don't even know what i would do with that..

i would probably try to open every app and file i have just to see if it could handle it.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
i honestly don't even know what i would do with that..

i would probably try to open every app and file i have just to see if it could handle it.
I tried that when I got mine.

Hard drive bottleneck still exists. It's more obvious now than ever.