It's going back...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by derek1984, Jul 13, 2010.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Going to the Apple Store tonight. Will switch back to my 3GS.

Is it pretty easy to go back and activate my old phone? Just like I would with a new phone?

When the antenna issues are resolved, will I still be eligible to go back to the iPhone 4 without paying anything more than a reactivation fee of $18?

Thanks in advance

2. dunk50 macrumors member

Derek, you should be fine. I JUST returned from AT&T. Went back to my 3g until they get this sorted out.

3. socbrian macrumors regular

if u signed a new contract and u return the phone, it auto goes back to the old contract

4. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

Did you pay the restocking fee ?

5. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

why?

I would hope not if the return is based on reception issues.

6. aneftp macrumors 601

Unless you cancel within 3 days, ATT will (may not) waive the "$18 upgrade/activation" fee. If it shows up on your bill, protest it and you should get it taken off.

As for waiting for a hardware fix. I doubt it at this point. Apple would need to go through FCC approval (once again) if they make any new antenna design changes.

You may be waiting till iPhone 5 by that time. I HAVE to purchase every 12 months since I am eligible for an upgrade every 12 months. I want the upgrade clock rolling.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've heard here that the application of the restocking fee has been inconsistent. Returning it to apple, most people have not been whacked with it, while others returning it to AT&T have.

Given the issues documented with the phone, I don't think its a stretch to imagine that you could argue your way out of the restocking fee

8. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies.

I really hate to do this since I love the phone. But the bottom line is when I hold it on the left side, I lose reception.

It's within 30 days and I can't plan on a recall when I don't even think there will be one.

Oh well. As long as it's hassle free at the Apple Store tonight and I can go back the my 3GS that works right, I'll be happy.