Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
Hey, well im a sophomore in college and tonight is the night to write a 3000 word essay the depiction of the underworld in Homer's, Virgil's and Dante's works. Right now im about half way done and its 1 in the morn, and i dont know when Im going to finish tonight. Im completely wired on caffeine, drinking coffee after coffee, add a coke or two in there, and an energy drink. Anyone else completely like hiper right now? hehehe... i know i really am. Top that off with listening to Psychedelic trance and im one trippy dude right now. I dont know if its going to help me write this thing or not... hehehe. Does anyone know how many nights of not sleeping is needed to start hallucinating??? I think i might start that and try it out... I mean... tomorrow is the last day of school in the week... and thus i can fully try it out... should be fun no?

Well, I better get going on something here... have a great night all....

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Oh my God, I'm exactly the same way. I'm supposed to be writing a 3,000 word paper comparing Hamlet to Othello, and it's not going well. Ah, the life of being in college, lots and lots of espresso keeps me wired.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
Join the club! We had jackets made. It's good to know you two are just as screwed as I am. I just finished 3700 words of a trial brief for a trial advocacy class. About 3000 more by 6pm tomorrow will wrap it up. And then oral arguments at 7.

How are the papers going?

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
You know what... now was not a good time... thinking about it.. I have an exam tomorrow too... ohhh well... guess ill have to stay awake even longer to study for that aswell... cant wait for thanksgiving break where i can watch the first 3 seasons of sienfeld in one sitting!
no worries.... woooo... hehehe

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
I can sympathize with you. I'm going to be up all night (almost 1am now) writing a 1,200 word paper on ballistic missile defense spending. Luckily I have a rough outline. Your topic sounds about as interesting as mine. I've just spent 4 hours hanging up Christmas lights in the 45F temp so I doubt I'll need too much caffeine.

Good luck with your paper.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
3000 words is about six hours if you can BS effectively and smoothly...it won't get you a good grade but, in my experience, at normal thought speed/writing speed, that's how long it takes....good luck and godspeed. :p

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
How are the papers going?

Well... to be exact... going pretty well... 2000 words into the paper and the end can be seen in sight. Just need to finish talking about Dantes Circles of Hell and then I think I can wrap it up... probably in about 2 or 3 hours... hehehe...
Hope everyone else is being far more productive than I am...

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
edge540 said:
Well... to be exact... going pretty well... 2000 words into the paper and the end can be seen in sight. Just need to finish talking about Dantes Circles of Hell and then I think I can wrap it up... probably in about 2 or 3 hours... hehehe...
Hope everyone else is being far more productive than I am...

Far more productive...I'm on Thanksgiving break. :D Far more productive means trying to break away from Mac Rumors to go watch The Princess Bride late into the night.

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
OutThere said:
Far more productive...I'm on Thanksgiving break. :D Far more productive means trying to break away from Mac Rumors to go watch The Princess Bride late into the night.
Thats a toughie right there... The Princess Bride is a great movie... I personally would prefer to watch that right now than sit here and procrastinate at 2 in the morning... wait... watching that movie would be procrastinating... ooops...

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
I always find that I'm most productive when I study at the library without any distractions, but of course it's closed right now so I'm stuck in my dorm room reading MacRumors, and slowing writing. The agonizing part is that I will be on Thanksgiving break in 13 hours. I want it to start right now.

adroit

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Victoria, BC
Thank god I already took all the classes that require any kind of essay!:D

Now I just have technical reports to write and will probably be up all night doing this stupidly long lab write up!:eek:

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
adroit said:
Thank god I already took all the classes that require any kind of essay!:D

Now I just have technical reports to write and will probably be up all night doing this stupidly long lab write up!:eek:

Hahaha... yea... I had one Lab write up to do every week this semester. That is one 1000 word lab write up every damn tuesday night. I hated it... luckily i only have 2 more to do this semester and the next one is not due for like another 2 weeks...

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
OutThere said:
3000 words is about six hours if you can BS effectively and smoothly...it won't get you a good grade but, in my experience, at normal thought speed/writing speed, that's how long it takes....good luck and godspeed. :p

I'm pretty sure mine won't take me six hours, considering I have a two and a half page outline already done and I just have to b.s. the sentences that connect the thoughts together.

Just ordered pasta to be delivered, need the carbs.

It's probably not helping that I'm chilling in my room with my friends and watching Family Guy.

itgoesbuzz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2005
royal oak, mi
if there is a reason im a biomedical science major, one good reason would be the avoidance of writing papers, because i absolutely hate writing papers....but my classes offer their own drawbacks.......like studying for hours on end and then taking the exam and thinking....."why did i study all of that? none of it was even on the exam."

in fact my microbiology exam today was exactly like that...everything i neglected to study found its way onto the exam.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
itgoesbuzz said:
if there is a reason im a biomedical science major, one good reason would be the avoidance of writing papers, because i absolutely hate writing papers....but my classes offer their own drawbacks.......like studying for hours on end and then taking the exam and thinking....."why did i study all of that? none of it was even on the exam."

in fact my microbiology exam today was exactly like that...everything i neglected to study found its way onto the exam.

Ha, that's the same thing that happens with my other major, Psychology. Especially in classes like Psychopathology, where you just have to know about a billion symptoms, courses of diseases, treatments, and all that crap. And inevitably, you study a lot more than is covered on the midterm or final.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Applespider said:
I wondered about that since you've returned to your mega-posting rates in recent days ;)

I actually posted more during the non-lecture study time before the exams. :eek:

Since my last exam, I've barely been here at all. :( In mad terms, of course.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
edge540 said:
Does anyone know how many nights of not sleeping is needed to start hallucinating???

It probably varies on the individual, diet, body weight and a slew of other biological factors I am unaware of but...

For me, it happens after one night without any sleep - shadows out of the corner of the eye, visual anomalies, distortions in sound.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i think i might have written some posts when i first joined macrumors which were very very long (easily 1000 words)...so long that people called them the "hatman" essays after my pseudonym "jefhatfield"

things seem much more conversational these days with shorter posts and that adds a more personal feeling...that is assuming one keeps current with who posts daily on macrumors

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
mad jew said:
I think now is a good time to tell everyone that I did my last exam for the year/semester a week or so ago. Three months left of holidays. :p
I think now is a good time to tell everyone that I did my last exam for ever 15 years ago.

That being said, it never stops. I now write presentations, project plans, speeches, white papers, etc., often totaling many many pages. In fact, I should probably be writing one now :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.