Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevelaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Good news: My new 13" ultimate MacBook Air was delivered to my office yesterday.

Bad news: The box was destroyed on one corner (see attached pix)

At first I thought all was well when it powered up. Then I realized the notebook was rocking on the table (ie would not sit flat) and the height of the keys on the lower right corner of the keyboard was much lower than the rest of the keyboard.

It's on its way back to Apple. Waiting again for the shipment from China...............

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,473
  • -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,450

Mac Composer

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
How do you know FedEx is responsible for the damage?
Well let's see. All packages leave China in perfect condition. They couldn't ship if the packaging was damaged. It arrives at the destination damaged.

Gee, I wonder who was handing it between the time it left China and arrive at the destination.

Could it be UPS.
Nope, don't think so. Wanna take another guess?

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Well, that's unfortunate. :/ Hopefully Apple is the one paying to ship the unit back.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
That is horrible...
Did apple give you any credits or anything to compensate this?

stevelaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
How do you know FedEx is responsible for the damage?

Shipped Fed Ex, arrived Fed Ex. I don't think my secretary dropped it between the front desk and the twenty yard walk to my office. Wait..... I'll check tomorrow....not.

Unfortunately, she did not realize it was a notebook computer or she would have refused delivery.

stevelaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
That is horrible...
Did apple give you any credits or anything to compensate this?

No credits, but Apple was pretty good re the return. I offered to send the pix (taken before anything was opened) but they said just to repack it and send it back with the prepaid label they provided. Fed Ex had it the same day.

Interestingly, Apple told me just to pack it up in the same screwed up box that I received.

Bluemeanie1976

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
I'm surprised the damage on that picture effected the MBA that much. There is quite a gap in the box to the air, and the air box itself should provide some protection. It must have been a he'll of a bump it received.

stevelaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I'm surprised the damage on that picture effected the MBA that much. There is quite a gap in the box to the air, and the air box itself should provide some protection. It must have been a he'll of a bump it received.

Me too. I truly hoped it would be OK. Am attaching a photo of the inside of the box. You can see a little deformed area on the notebook. At first I thought it was only the light on the notebook, but after the warped issue and the strange keys I looked again and it was slightly damaged. Must have been a pretty good hit.

Attachments

• -3.jpg
    -3.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,324

Mr. Savage

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Toronto
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yeah, but did Apple ask, "How do we know Fed-Ex is responsible for the damage?" ;)

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Think you need to hire a smarter secretary. Would solve more than just this problem.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It's too bad, but it happens. Hopefully you'll get your replacement MacBook Air quickly and all will be well.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
No credits, but Apple was pretty good re the return. I offered to send the pix (taken before anything was opened) but they said just to repack it and send it back with the prepaid label they provided. Fed Ex had it the same day.

Interestingly, Apple told me just to pack it up in the same screwed up box that I received.

Ask for one...
I have been heard people get as much as 200 dollars credit.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Me too. I truly hoped it would be OK. Am attaching a photo of the inside of the box. You can see a little deformed area on the notebook. At first I thought it was only the light on the notebook, but after the warped issue and the strange keys I looked again and it was slightly damaged. Must have been a pretty good hit.

Sorry to hear about your MBA. That is some really nasty damage!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Ask for one...
I have been heard people get as much as 200 dollars credit.

I got a $180 credit without even asking for one. I was simply super polite on the phone.

I had a defective ACD that had a few missing pixels, Apple rush shipped me a new one before I even sent the old one back, credited me $180 for my "inconvenience" (even though it was really no big deal, it happens), and bundled the purchase with the Applecare I bought on my macbook pro a month and a half earlier so that both machines were covered under applecare.

yourwiseguy

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
In my experience Apple has always been extremely pleasant in dealing with situations like this. Glad to hear that they are still taking care of their customers.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Ugh, my replacement arrives tomorrow: my first MBA had a big hole punched in the box, and the Air had some issues. Apple was real good about replacing it. It's been a week since I dropped off the return at Fedex. I wish that I had purchased this at the apple store instead of dealing with shipping.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
That's a ridiculous response!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together. A smarter secretary would have noticed a package coming from Apple that looked like one of it's corners had been nearly kicked in and refused the package.

He's lucky everything turned out well since Apple has great customer service. But imagine if the box had been from another company that that gave him a hard time or refused to replace it? What if it was something in the box costing even more money and he couldn't get his money back?

If you're not smart enough to check where a package comes from before you sign it and further, to accept a grossly deformed package at that, you shouldn't be working in any capacity where you're accepting thousand dollar goods.

mm1250

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
You guys make it sound like Apple is going out of it's way to do a product return.

They actually like when Fedex screws it up. They now just sold 2 laptops! One laptop to you, and the other one to FedEx who BTW has to pay full price for the damaged shipment. Only winner I see here is Apple!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

Sorry about the Air.... I'm not surprised about the using the same box... It's not like they're worried that the computer will get damaged, eh?

What would be interesting is if FedEx refuses to accept the shipment because of the damaged box. And, you'd have to pity the driver. He/she doesn't make the rules - they just get to listen to the sarcastic answers from the shippers. :)

Good Luck with your next one.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
You guys make it sound like Apple is going out of it's way to do a product return.

They actually like when Fedex screws it up. They now just sold 2 laptops! One laptop to you, and the other one to FedEx who BTW has to pay full price for the damaged shipment. Only winner I see here is Apple!

Well said.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Well let's see. All packages leave China in perfect condition. They couldn't ship if the packaging was damaged. It arrives at the destination damaged.

Gee, I wonder who was handing it between the time it left China and arrive at the destination.

Could it be UPS.
Nope, don't think so. Wanna take another guess?

Well let's see....I didn't assume it left China in perfect condition. Oh, and I wasn't talking to you.

Sympathies to the OP. Given the packaging and the relatively light weight, I can't see that damage resulting from it just being dropped.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.